× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Considering upgrading to a later model... Suggestions Please

brianf1
Aspirant

Considering upgrading to a later model... Suggestions Please

HI.

I currently have an X6 Rev. A. It has worked great for many years, and still does.

I am thinking of upgrading to a newer model. I do not have a huge requirement list

Requirements:
Primarily I use my X6 as my media library backup. However, I would consider reversing that to be my primary library if the new device supported video and music streaming via iTunes (to Apple TVs) and Plex Server.

4 disk device, Raid-X, 5, 6, or 10
GigE
USB 3, Firewire, or eSATA
as reliable as the X6 has been for the last 7 years.

I have been looking at: Netgear RND4000-200 ReadyNAS NV+ v2 or waiting for the new ReadyNAS 104

Cost is also a factor, the ReadyNAS 314 looks like the best of all worlds....
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Considering upgrading to a later model... Suggestions Pl

The RN104 is supposed to stream to Apple-TV, though at present I have no way to test it. I did test the server (in an RN102) with iTunes-11. Note that there is no Linux iTunes server that supports the iTunes home sharing feature.

The 314 would also have Plex built-in. I'd go with the 314 if you can afford it.

What I wouldn't do is buy an NV+ v2 at this point. If you are ok with one the older models, look at the ultra-4 and pro-4. They also have the iTunes server, and Plex is available as an add-on. The UI is similar to what you are used to already, and the performance is better than the v2 and the x6 you have now.
Message 2 of 3
brianf1
Aspirant

Re: Considering upgrading to a later model... Suggestions Pl

Thanks Steven.

I am leaning towards the 314. I figure I can sell my X6 with 4 500 GB disks in it for around $300. Or maybe I'll just keep it... who knows.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements