× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drive Storage Capacity Doesn't Add Up

SandZogg
Aspirant

Drive Storage Capacity Doesn't Add Up

I have two 2TB drives in my RN212, but it shows total capacity as 2TB.

It should be 4TB.

Both drives show up on the setup page as functional.

What have I done wrong?

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Drive Storage Capacity Doesn't Add Up

It is working as designed (though perhaps not the way you want).

XRAID (the default RAID mode) provides single redundancy, so your data remains available even when a single drive fails.  This takes away from the total volume size.  The general rule for capacity is "sum the drives and subtract the largest" - which works out to 2 TB in your case.

In your specific case, the NAS is using RAID-1, which mirrors the two drives - everything is written to both in parallel.

If you need the extra space, you can either upgrade both drives to 4 TB, or you can back up your data and start over.  You'd do a factory default with only one drive in place, and then switch to flex-raid.  After that you'd insert the second drive and create a second 2 TB volume on it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It is working as designed (though perhaps not the way you want).

XRAID (the default RAID mode) provides single redundancy, so your data remains available even when a single drive fails.  This takes away from the total volume size.  The general rule for capacity is "sum the drives and subtract the largest" - which works out to 2 TB in your case.

In your specific case, the NAS is using RAID-1, which mirrors the two drives - everything is written to both in parallel.

If you need the extra space, you can either upgrade both drives to 4 TB, or you can back up your data and start over.  You'd do a factory default with only one drive in place, and then switch to flex-raid.  After that you'd insert the second drive and create a second 2 TB volume on it.

Message 2 of 3
SandZogg
Aspirant

Thanks so much!

I have never used RAID, so now I know how it works.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements