× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dual services?

danielwerner
Aspirant

Dual services?

Hi,

Sorry for the abstract subject, didn't know how to describe it. I'm thinking of buying a ReadyNAS Ultra 4, and have a couple of questions:

1. Will I be able to run Plex and stream videos to my DLNA-tv on one disk, and then use the other one to backup my mac via time machine (wireless, exactly like a time capsule). If yes, will that work smoothly? Do I need anything in particular? Has the ReadyNAS built in wireless or will I need to connect it to my router?

2. If the above works, can I use "dual" Raid-1 for this? That is, add 4 disks and use raid-1 for the Plex and another raid-1 for the time machine-backups, without them disturbing each other?

Thanks! 🙂
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Dual services?

danielwerner wrote:
1. Will I be able to run Plex and stream videos to my DLNA-tv on one disk, and then use the other one to backup my mac via time machine...
If you need to transcode your audio/video, then you might want to get a Pro. The ultra is good for streaming, but the CPU is not really up for real-time transcoding.

danielwerner wrote:
...Has the ReadyNAS built in wireless or will I need to connect it to my router?
You will need to connect it to your router. For best performance you would want gigabit ethernet.

danielwerner wrote:
2. If the above works, can I use "dual" Raid-1 for this? That is, add 4 disks and use raid-1 for the Plex and another raid-1 for the time machine-backups, without them disturbing each other?
You can set up the ultra for dual RAID-1. The two volumes would be independent, though of course they would share the CPU.

Though XRAID-2 should also work - ReadyNAS is capable of handling both tasks simultaneously. XRAID-2 aggregates all the disks into a single RAID volume. This provides protection against loss of a single disk drive, and enables you to expand the array later without needing to reload your data.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements