× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Duo V2 : Using non enterprise grade disks and trying to identify what raid controller

Roxy1
Apprentice

Duo V2 : Using non enterprise grade disks and trying to identify what raid controller

I have a Duo V2 with two WD red's in X-raid. It's time to upgrade for capacity reasons. Beside me are two clean ST3000DM001 from Seagate. To my knowledge they do not have ERC (Seagate's version of TLER and therefore if there's a disk reading issue, it may take too long and damage the raid array. 

It is my understanding though that some Linux based NAS have their own HBA styled raid controller which transcends any disk features such as ERC making it a moot point.

However this only works if it's an HBA based raid controller.

Can someone comment whether the Duo V2 is HBA and/or their experience with non enterprise disks?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Duo V2 : Using non enterprise grade disks and trying to identify what raid controller

The duo v2 uses software RAID.

Based on posts here, and also the very high failure rate reported by backblaze (https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/ ), I'd recommend against using ST3000DM001 drives in RAID arrays. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Duo V2 : Using non enterprise grade disks and trying to identify what raid controller

The duo v2 uses software RAID.

Based on posts here, and also the very high failure rate reported by backblaze (https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/ ), I'd recommend against using ST3000DM001 drives in RAID arrays. 

Message 2 of 3
Roxy1
Apprentice

Thank you

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements