× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Encryption, (FDE or equivalent)

GIFF
Aspirant

Encryption, (FDE or equivalent)

I would like to request FDE or the equivalent in a RAID environment. My budget does not allow for an impenetrable computer room and my entire life, or at least part of it, is in one spot, on your device. AES would be best. I recently made the move to IBM from Dell due to the improved hardware level encryption and capacity options. Software or hardware encryption works. Maybe you can utilize existing drives that already have FDE.

Within reason you can not put a price on security.

Lastly, did I mention stable encryption.

RG
Message 1 of 20
Lichon
Aspirant

Re: Encryption, (FDE or equivalent)

If encryption support comes, then I would only want it to do work on certain shares/folders and not the whole volume.
Message 2 of 20
jcollins
Aspirant

When requesting encryption, you might want to talk more about your needs.

My assumption when someone says Full Disk Encryption, is that they want it such that the data is unreadable if the drives or the ReadyNAS gets stolen. FDE's not a solution if you want end to end data encryption. With a FDE solution, the data's going to be in the clear going from the NAS to the client computers (so if someone has a sniffer out, it's possible to get your data).
Message 3 of 20
xyster1
Aspirant

I would like encryption as well. Encryption of the disks in the device is nice. Encryption of USB attached drives used for backup is even nicer.
To rephrase, if I attach a USB drive to the front and press the backup button, the data is optionally encrypted on the USB drive. This allows me to store the backup drive remotely without worrying about the contents.
Obtaining the key + SW recovery tool would be out of band (for instance through FrontView).
Message 4 of 20
rossg
Aspirant

I would also be interested in encryption.

I am contemplating setting up a computer system for a small business (~3 workstations accessing a shared database via LAN). A third-party closed application would store confidentila client information on the LAN. For this particular application the standard security involves nothing more than the physical security of the site. I am considering using a ReadyNAS to store the database (for reliability and redundant storage).

I would like the database to be protected against opportunistic theft of the NAS or disks. (The data is not sufficiently valuable that anyone would steal the disks or hack the LAN to get the data. It is more likely that someone would opportunistically break into the business and steal the NAS because it looks saleable.) I would like the encryption to be transparent to the application program. (Something like a boot-time password on the NAS would be adequate.) I would also need to be able to make encrypted off-site backups. The strength of encryption should be adequate to defeat your average neighbourhood hacker - not government agencies or crypto-professionals.
Message 5 of 20
galphanet
Aspirant

+1 for encryption on some shares and on USB disks.
Message 6 of 20
Nick_123
Aspirant

+1 For Share Encryption
Message 7 of 20
pmauro
Aspirant

+1 for USB drive encryption for frontview backups. If one of my backup drives is lost/stolen when taken off site all my data is exposed.
Message 8 of 20
a_carneiro
Tutor

Maybe not possible due to ReadyNAS CPU restrictions, but add my vote for encryption "a la Truecrypt" 🙂
Message 9 of 20
Davide_NYC
Aspirant

+1 for Share and USB Disk Encryption.

My main concern is theft. The current users are trusted.
Message 10 of 20
Amoebia
Aspirant

I am surprised that there seems so little interest to have this vital requirement implemented. Searching through the forums I see various requests for an encryption feature but they are dated back two years or more and apparently they did not find their way to Netgear. I have not been able to locate any formal response on this requirement. Not even a word saying that the hardware would not support it as some users suggested. Many NAS vendors have this incorprated addressing the need for business or home to protect access to confidential data stored on the device. After serveral years have passed since this requirement has been submitted in the forum the first time, nothing happened?!
Message 11 of 20
jeremyotten
Aspirant

+10000
Message 12 of 20
ReadyT
Aspirant

jeremyotten wrote:
+10000

+1,000,000......LOL

Could not resist...(1) Year since this was asked and (5) years since it was requested.

Clearly there is an issue within the software that Readynas uses. It can be/has been done - everyone else has done it on lesser hardware.

Just give up :cry: and move on.
Message 13 of 20
drfrogsplat
Tutor

I've tested out EncFS myself on a ReadyNAS Ultra 4, and sure there's a performance hit, but it definitely worked, and was certainly usable.

The only problem I have with EncFS now is that I need to enable SSH on the ReadyNAS to be able to use it, set it up, and need to ssh in to enter the password after each boot or when I want to remount the encrypted area of the drive.

EncFS is not FDE, in that it doesn't encrypt the entirety of the disks, but it's a pretty good compromise, as it lets you encrypt as much (or as little) of your drives as you want.

This could definitely be implemented as part of the standard system, or as an add-on, and would work (with a performance hit, as most encryption systems do) at least on the Ultra series, and I'd assume all x86 ReadyNAS products.

It's definitely not impossible, even with the current ReadyNAS software. I've set it up and run it, and so have quite a few others on these forums; all that's really stopping most people from using it is the lack of a sensible user interface to control it.
Message 14 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ReadyT wrote:
jeremyotten wrote:
+10000

+1,000,000......LOL

Could not resist...(1) Year since this was asked and (5) years since it was requested.

Clearly there is an issue within the software that Readynas uses. It can be/has been done - everyone else has done it on lesser hardware.

Just give up :cry: and move on.

+1,000,000,000

I'm an avid Electronic Frontier Foundation follower, and their 2012 New Year's recommendation is to encrypt all the computers in your house. My trusty Mac already was, but the ReadyNAS Ultra 6 is a glaring oversight.

What's the story with FDE / partial volume / USB encryption?
Message 15 of 20
Theresias
Tutor

Have you guys though about something like this?

http://www.symantec.com/netshare
Message 16 of 20
mjioreky
Aspirant

Created an account to only request this feature. I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 4-bay and really want full-disk encryption.
Next NAS purchase, I will make sure the device supports encryption.
Message 17 of 20
chirpa
Luminary

Seeing as ReadyNAS OS 6 that just came out for new models doesn't yet have encryption, I doubt you'll see it provided by NTGR on existing units.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6835/readynas-100-300-and-500-series-reboots-netgears-smb-nas-lineup wrote:
An update to the firmware in late May is scheduled to bring in encryption support to the OS. AES-256 will be used and the key will be stored / required to be available on a USB dongle connected to the NAS. An unfortunate aspect seems to be the fact that none of the models in the 100 / 300 / 500 series have hardware accelerated encryption support.

Your best luck will be an add-on from third-party. I'd start here: http://readynasxtras.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24
Message 18 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm also looking for FDE. Still no progress with this?

Message 19 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@AgentDragonfly wrote:

I'm also looking for FDE. Still no progress with this?

It has been available on OS6 for some time (you are posting to a 2 year old thread).

It's not available for legacy OS4 or OS5.

I'm locking this thread...

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements