× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP transfer speed

timharrisnl
Aspirant

FTP transfer speed

hi, I recently bought a second hand Readynas duo (RND2000v2).

Had some headaches so far getting it set up.. mainly because it's labled RND2000v2 on the sticker, whilst in reality it is not a v2 but a Readynas Duo with firmware 4.1.16. But now it runs nicely.. status is healthy, 2x 500gb in raid giving 470gb netto.

The transfer rate on the device however is, well worrying.

File copy over a network window was so slow, I decided to try ftp.

FTP from wired machine into the NAS within my home network I get up to 1.4 MiB/s (or with 2 files is takes each at 700KiB/s), whilst other devices in the network go between 6 and 11 MiB/s.

I'm not sure exactly what I should expect from the NAS, but it being between 4 and 8 times slower than any other device in the house for a device built to be on a network is pretty worrying.

I'm not able to find the answer going through manuals and various forum threads.. what speeds should/could I expect from this machine?

And if they should be higher then the 1.4MiB/s I am getting.. any ideas on what I could change to increase the current results?

many thanks,

Tim Harris, the Netherlands

Model: RND2000v2|READYNAS DUO v2|EOL
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
timharrisnl
Aspirant

Re: FTP transfer speed

thanks @JennC,

actually after some days of trouble shooting I have finally found a solution (as the issue was come and go)..

I have stopped using Filezilla for FTP and switched to now using FlashFXP.

Speeds are constant now, no more timeout's etc. happy 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
timharrisnl
Aspirant

and the weirdest thing..

without changing anything at all... an hour or two later it's now working at the same speed as other devices..

Don't know why, but happy 🙂

Message 2 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello timharrisnl,

Maybe it needed some time 🙂 

This article might help you with connection speed for legacy units. I also suggest to always have full backup of important data.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 3 of 5
timharrisnl
Aspirant

thanks @JennC,

actually after some days of trouble shooting I have finally found a solution (as the issue was come and go)..

I have stopped using Filezilla for FTP and switched to now using FlashFXP.

Speeds are constant now, no more timeout's etc. happy 🙂

Message 4 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello timharrisnl,

Thanks for the update. I see, so it appears there is something with FileZilla that affects the speed. It could be something in the background running and affecting the performance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements