× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP wont start

tagteam3283
Aspirant

FTP wont start

hi all,

1st post apologies if i'm not putting everything which I need to add.

I've had my ReadyNAS Duo since the dawn of day and always seem to be getting a problem with FTP setup. For some reason the protocol just stops working.

I have to go into the NAS settings, disable the FTP at which point I get a pop up error saying "error when stopping FTP service", then restart the service then reboot the NAS. Before today that has worked and I was fine doing that once in a blue moon. However today, I get an error when starting the FTP "error when stopping FTP service" - Smiley Mad.

I'm was on Sparc 4.1.15 which I updated today to Sparc 4.1.16 and Radiator 6.3. I tried a OS reinstall but seems the preferences didnt reset. With regards to hardware, the badge on the back says RND2000v2 but all of the other indicators like fan size, images showing the positio of USB plsts etc imply that it's actually a v1.

I've searched around for an alternative FTP addons but there isnt any I can find.

Can anoyone offer any suggestions please? The only thing left for me to to is a factory reset but I don't want to lose all of my data on my 2x1TB HDD's. If no other suggestions, is there a safe means to factory reset retaining the data on both disks safely?

Regards

Ste

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 15
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: FTP wont start

Sounds like you can access the unit, so that means you could get the data off, i.e. do backup?

Do you have command line access via ssh?

More basically, what's the reason behind using FTP - not being critical, just curious?

Message 2 of 15
tagteam3283
Aspirant

hi tony, i allow a few friends [users] to access the NAS over the tinterweb to store files, photos etc.

i havent installed anything for SSH access but if oyu can run me thorough it I don't mind.

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

If your duo is running 4.1.x firmware then it certainly is a v1.  OS reinstall instructions are in the hardware manual - pages 15-16 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

On your NAS that will reset the admin password to netgear1, and reset the network interface to use DHCP.  Generally it won't harm data - but I do recommend backing up your NAS before you do it.  FWIW, I think an OS reinstall is unlikely to solve your problem, but it is possible that it will.

Once you have a data backup, I suggest downloading the NAS logs (zip file) from the web UI.  Look at the first line in disk_usage.log - that will tell you how full the OS partition is.  Normally it should be about 20% full.  If it's very full, there can be a lot of issues (including loss of connectivity and failing services).  

Note that if the OS partition is filling, then downloading the logs might fill it completely (and brick the NAS).  Support can fix that for you remotely - but it's best to avoid it.  That's why I am recommending downloading the files after you've made a backup.  There's a similar risk with the OS reinstall.

Like @aks I am interested in more details on how you are using FTP.  Is this for local access, or remote?  Are you using it generally, or just with a specific device?

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@tagteam3283 wrote:

i allow a few friends [users] to access the NAS over the tinterweb to store files, photos etc.

That's helpful actually.  General guidance on this:  Restrict the range of passive ports in the NAS (4x the number of expected simultaneous users is usually a good number), and make sure the full range of of allowed passive ports is forwarded in your router.  If this isn't quite right, your failures might actually be due to connectivity, and not the NAS FTP server.  Best practice is for passive ports to be in the range 49152-65535 (this are reserved for private use).  Other ranges usually work though.

If masquerading is currently not configured on the duo, then you should also be able to connect using FTP from your local network.  If that's the case, then perhaps the next time it fails you should try accessing it locally, and see if you get the same symptoms.

Message 5 of 15
tagteam3283
Aspirant

thanks, it wil be used remotely, not locally. as mentioned the users/ freidns acess the NAS over the internet using filezila to store their  personal files, like a could service per say.

If I clear ther logs - will that help at all?

Message 6 of 15
tagteam3283
Aspirant

disk_usage

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hde1 2.0G 538M 1.5G 28% /

Message 7 of 15
tagteam3283
Aspirant

i only have 2 users including myself set up at the moment. The FTP port is set between those ranges already. The router is only forwarding the posts I am specifying in the NAS settings.

What is odd is that if I randomly tick and chjange th eport settings and apply then the service activates and when I check for th eport being open then it works. then when I disabled then enable again, I get the errors again!

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@tagteam3283 wrote:

... using filezila to store their

FileZilla doesn't require masquerading, so if you are using that you can turn it off.

I'm recommending testing it locally when your friends run into issues, because that will confirm that the problem is actually with the NAS FTP service, and not something else on the internet path.

@tagteam3283 wrote:

/dev/hde1 2.0G 538M 1.5G 28% /

Thx.  That's plenty of space, so the OS partition is not full.

What firmware is the NAS running?

Message 9 of 15
tagteam3283
Aspirant

sparc 4.1.16

after fiddling about as mentinoed above, turning the tick box on/off saving and changing ports iI eventually got it going but then when i stop it to then restart it again it fails again.

I've turn masq off [left the field blank].

that is how I test, I use their login details in my Filezilla which works fine once the service is operating. When this is working they user has no issues connecting externally. The only time everyone has issues is when the FTP service stops.

Is there anywheer in the logs where is wil show why the FTP erro occirs? I only see FTP connection attmpts in the FTP log file.

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@tagteam3283 wrote:

Is there anywheer in the logs where is wil show why the FTP erro occirs? I only see FTP connection attmpts in the FTP log file.

You could look in system.log and kernel.log. 

It's also worth checking the smart stats/disk health.

Message 11 of 15
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would recommend installing the ssh add-on now, that way you can get command line access should it be needed for diagnosis.

You can find it here.

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@aks wrote:

I would recommend installing the ssh add-on now, that way you can get command line access should it be needed for diagnosis.

You can find it here.

That is reasonable, though if you do that, I also suggest learning some basics of linux command shell commands.  You can do a lot of damage if you aren't careful, so it best not to wait until your NAS has failed to get acquainted with linux.

Message 13 of 15
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was more thinking in case more detailed help was needed at some point, with instruction at that point, rather than 'experiment', due to the potential hazards/damage to the files, etc.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@aks wrote:

I was more thinking in case more detailed help was needed at some point, with instruction at that point, rather than 'experiment', due to the potential hazards/damage to the files, etc.

Yes, I get that.

But I think it's best if folks get comfortable with shell commands before they are stressed out dealing with a sick NAS.  They can do that with a VM or a linux live CD.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements