× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Upgrade ReadyNAS NV - from 4.1.6 to latest 4.1.15

potrero
Aspirant

Firmware Upgrade ReadyNAS NV - from 4.1.6 to latest 4.1.15

Hi - I'm currently running RAIDiator 4.1.6 with four 256GB drives. I'd like to upgrade to four 2TB drives and I understand I need to update my firmware to do so.

Questions:

1) Is it OK to jump from 4.1.6 to 4.1.15? Or do I need to update versions incrementally?

1a) If I need to update incrementally, how do I get the in-between versions?

2) When updating locally, what specific file is selected for uploading? (I downloaded the current firmware on my mac and there are two files, RAIDiator-4.1.15 and RAIDiator-4.1.15.md5)

I have already made a backup of my data.

Thanks for any info!!

- Aaron

Model: ReadyNAS-NV|ReadyNAS NV
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
potrero
Aspirant

Re: Firmware Upgrade ReadyNAS NV - from 4.1.6 to latest 4.1.15

Issues resolved by performing the following:

- followed the steps listed in the first reply.

- used a 500GB approved drive as a scratch disk and updated to latest 4.1.16 firmware

- per steps, installed the 4 2TB WD Caviar black drives with a factory install (successfully loaded 4.1.16 and showed correct updated storage amount).

- had to use Firefox browser on mac to get the proper feature display to update the Alert Message/Email info.

- manually loaded the latest Squeezebox/LMS version (v7.9.0) and copied data back to the drives.

You'll find the LMS installers (Logitech Media Server) for various platforms in http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Log...Server_v7.9.0/.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

4.1.16 is actually the current version - you download it here: https://kb.netgear.com/000038792/RAIDiator-Version-4-1-16-Sparc

It is a very big jump, and I think you will need to do a factory reset anyway.

The safe approach is to

• power down, removing your current disks (labeling by slot)
  • inserting a single scratch disk (not in the array and < 2 TB)
  • power up and do a factory install from the boot memu
  • upgrade the firmware (try one-shot)
  • power down and insert your 4x2TB disks
  • power up, and the system will do another factory install
  • restore your data from the backup.

This isn't as bad as it looks from the list of steps...

@potrero wrote:

2) When updating locally, what specific file is selected for uploading? (I downloaded the current firmware on my mac and there are two files, RAIDiator-4.1.15 and RAIDiator-4.1.15.md5)

RAIDiator-4.1.15  The md5 file is a checksum you can use to verify the image.  It's not needed, since it was in a zip (which has it's own integrity check).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5

Message 2 of 11
potrero
Aspirant

Thanks for the info/steps!

I will give it a try.

Message 3 of 11
potrero
Aspirant

Question: Is it OK to use a WD 1.5TB WD1502FAEX Caviar Black as the single "scratch" disk you mention in your steps?

It's not on the approved list...but will it work for this purpose? It's the only other spare disk I have available.

Should I purchase another disk for this step?

Thanks

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@potrero wrote:

Question: Is it OK to use a WD 1.5TB WD1502FAEX Caviar Black as the single "scratch" disk you mention in your steps?

That should work.  

The only caveat - some early firmware didn't support 1.5 TB drives, that was added somewhere only the way.  Unfortunately Netgear has removed the old RAIDiator releases from the kb articles, so I can't see the release notes that far back.

So that might be an issue - but there's no harm in trying it.  All you need is fresh install so you can try the firmware upgrade.

FWIW, one benefit of this approach is that the original disks are still intact, so you do have another fallback if something goes wrong.

Message 5 of 11
potrero
Aspirant

I picked up a refurbed 500GB drive and used it as a scratch disk. That worked well and the Firmware update went smoothly.

Per your steps, I installed the 4 2TB drives and have the following issues:

1) After the factory install, the 4th disk had to resync. That took approx. 8 hours. That seems strange as there's no data on the system. Does this mean I have a faulty disk #4? I did a second Factory Default and encountered the same issue. The system is displaying "4 disks, 5533 GB used". Is that correct for 4 2TB disks?

2) In the Alert settings, when I select the SMTP tab, it does not change the display so I'm not able to enter any data. All the other tabs work normally. Because of this, I'm not able to receive email alerts as I had previously setup in 4.1.6. Is this a software bug? or is it related to my resyncing drive issue? Is there other methods to make this work?

3) In Streaming Services, it does not allow me to activate Logitech Squeezebox. When I click the check box and hit apply, it thinks then unchecks the box. If I click on the "Setup" button it opens up a blank page. Squeezebox is the reason I use this NAS, so I'm hoping that it can still work with this firmware and disk configuration!

Thanks again for any additional info and steps!!

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@potrero wrote:

1) After the factory install, the 4th disk had to resync. That took approx. 8 hours. That seems strange as there's no data on the system. Does this mean I have a faulty disk #4? I did a second Factory Default and encountered the same issue. The system is displaying "4 disks, 5533 GB used". Is that correct for 4 2TB disks?

On your NAS disk 4 holds the RAID parity blocks.  The sync happens at the block level, so it doesn't matter if the volume is empty or full.  Your volume size is correct.  It's 6 TB (using 1000 000 000 000 bytes = 1 TB).  But the NAS displays GiB (as does windows).  6 TB = ~5588 GiB.  There is some RAID overhead on top of that.

@potrero wrote:

2) In the Alert settings, when I select the SMTP tab, it does not change the display so I'm not able to enter any data. All the other tabs work normally. Because of this, I'm not able to receive email alerts as I had previously setup in 4.1.6. Is this a software bug? or is it related to my resyncing drive issue? Is there other methods to make this work?

3) In Streaming Services, it does not allow me to activate Logitech Squeezebox. When I click the check box and hit apply, it thinks then unchecks the box. If I click on the "Setup" button it opens up a blank page. Squeezebox is the reason I use this NAS, so I'm hoping that it can still work with this firmware and disk configuration!

This sounds wrong.  I don't use Squeezebox, but SMTP certainly should be working.  What browser are you using?

Message 7 of 11
potrero
Aspirant

OK great. Resync has finished and status looks good. I was using IE on a PC, then I opened FrontView on a Mac in Firefox and was able to get to SMTP settings and am now receiving email alerts.

SqueezeCenter is still not loading, so I'm reading up on manually reinstalling the latest Logitech Media Server software to see if I can get that going.

Happy to have gotten this far. Appreciate your assistance!

Message 8 of 11
potrero
Aspirant

Got latest SqueezeCenter loaded and running - Happy Camper!!

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 11
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello potrero,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback. It does appear the issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 11
potrero
Aspirant

Issues resolved by performing the following:

- followed the steps listed in the first reply.

- used a 500GB approved drive as a scratch disk and updated to latest 4.1.16 firmware

- per steps, installed the 4 2TB WD Caviar black drives with a factory install (successfully loaded 4.1.16 and showed correct updated storage amount).

- had to use Firefox browser on mac to get the proper feature display to update the Alert Message/Email info.

- manually loaded the latest Squeezebox/LMS version (v7.9.0) and copied data back to the drives.

You'll find the LMS installers (Logitech Media Server) for various platforms in http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Log...Server_v7.9.0/.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements