× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I reset a RD5200 OS without damaging or loosing data.

chico1966
Aspirant

How can I reset a RD5200 OS without damaging or loosing data.

I have an older Ready Data 5200 and for some reason all the different modes to access the device, like technical support mode, normal mode, they all seem to produce the same results which is just a cursor flashing on the screen. I was able to console into the device but that doesnt tell me a way to reset the OS on that 5200 chassis nor does it bring all the items up and running. I have searched around everywhere but cant seem to find a way to reset the OS on the 5200 chassis without damaging or corrupting the data on the share drives. I tried going through the restore to factory defaults menu too but the cursor will be flashing in the screen.I checked and this has the latest firmware and we upgraded this back in April. This NAS has been pretty stable since this is the 2nd time in several years that this device has gone down. Thanks and let me know if there are more details anyone might want.
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How can I reset a RD5200 OS without damaging or loosing data.

This would need some troubleshooting to determine what's going on and how to proceed.

There are things to check e.g. disk health, logs for clues as to what's going on etc.

Message 2 of 10
chico1966
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I will investigate this more and let you know. I'm able to use the serial console and get into the system. I brought everything back up as well the only issue I am having is when I try to plug the display cart in I am seeing just a cursor. I've tried restarting and when I've tried to log in technical mode or any other mode for that matter it displays just the cursor. Would the video card/board go bad? I'll let you know what I do find.
Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RD5200 uses the serial console whereas the RDD516 outputs console output to a display connected to the HDMI port.

Message 4 of 10
chico1966
Aspirant

I was able to connect both by serial connection and to the regular VGA connector. Now serial works but the VGA shows only the cursor.
Message 5 of 10
chico1966
Aspirant

When we try to log into the NAS GUI it just hangs and time out, “cant connected to device” something along those lines. On the back end when we go into var/log for db.log there is a constant db error, I don’t remember the exact error message.

We need to see how we can re-install the OS. When we reset the NAS via the pin, we were able to hit “escape” to get into the grub boot menu, but when selecting option to re-install OS nothing happens.
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you contacted support?

Message 7 of 10
chico1966
Aspirant

I purchased this item second hand and dont really have the funds to pay out for support on this. I'm able to navigate through the data remotely or via a serial connection but in the regular VGA port I only see a blinking cursor and wondered if I could reinstall just on that main unit without damaging the data on the storage unit.
Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried USB Boot Recovery?

Buying a second hand unit is risky as the unit may be in questionable condition and our support team provides support (there are costs involved with this) for the original purchaser only.

Message 9 of 10
chico1966
Aspirant

Thank you. That is my main question though. If I did do USB boot recovery will I lose any of my data plus does the 5200 support this type of recovery?
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements