× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I access my NAS files via ftp?

bnrush
Aspirant

How do I access my NAS files via ftp?

I'm a networking dummy, so please keep your answers as dummed-down as possible.  I've enabled ftp on Frontview, now hoping to access my NAS remotely via Filezilla. 3 questions for you:

What is my Host if I have no domain for the NAS?   How exactly should enter my hostname?  (Please provide an example with full syntax)

Would my User/Pass be the same as it is to access the NAS from my home network?  

Is there a particular port I should use?

Thanks so much Netgear Community!

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: How do I access my NAS files via ftp?

@bnrush wrote:

What is my Host if I have no domain for the NAS?   How exactly should enter my hostname?  (Please provide an example with full syntax)

You need to get a name for your home network's router.  There is a service called DDNS (dynamic DNS) that you use for this.  Most DDNS providers charge, there is still is a free DDNS option at www.noip.com.  You pick your hostname, and and have a couple of suffixes available (.hopto.org, .ddns.net, and a few more).  So you could try to get bnrush.ddns.net from noip.  The DDNS name is resolved to be external WAN IP address of your router. 

DDNS support is built into some home routers - you'd need to check your router firmware documentation to confirm that and get the details.  You can alternatively install an app from noip on a PC.

@bnrush wrote:

Is there a particular port I should use?

I recommend using a non-standard control port - you will also need a few passive ports for data transfer.  Generally I recommend about 4 passive ports per simultaneous user.   Ideally non-standard control ports are in the range 49153-65535.  So if this service is just for you, you could use 54321 for the control port and 54322-54325 for the passive ports.  You'd then forward ports 54321-54325 to the NAS from your router.  Filezilla will need to have 54321 configured as it's port (and the NAS also will need to have these ports configured).

I recommend using FTPS (which is encrypted).  OS-6 has an option to require that.  In filezilla you'd set "use explicit FTP over TLS if available" as the encyption setting.

The masquerade on the NAS FTP server isn't needed, so that shouldn't be used.

Note FTP has to be enabled on the shares as well.

@bnrush wrote:

Would my User/Pass be the same as it is to access the NAS from my home network?  

Yes.  

Message 2 of 5
bnrush
Aspirant

How do I resolve bnrush.ddns.net as the external WAN IP address of the router?  Will this have any other side effects with the router?

Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@bnrush wrote:

How do I resolve bnrush.ddns.net as the external WAN IP address of the router?  

Thanks for the help.

Well, first you get the name from noip.com.  Then you either use the built-in DDNS setup in your router, or you install the noip application on a PC on your network.  The router (or the application) figure out your WAN IP address, and send it to noip.com's servers (using your noip account credentials).

DNS will then resolve that hostname to the IP address (noip takes care of that part).

@bnrush wrote:

Will this have any other side effects with the router?

No.

Message 4 of 5
bnrush
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the help!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements