× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How identify between model versions NV+ v1 & NV+ v2

robby99
Aspirant

How identify between model versions NV+ v1 & NV+ v2

I am wanting to purchase an NV+ v2 however It is unclear what the manufacturer SKU is for the two models (v1 & v2). Sometimes they show a picture of a silver NV+ and sometimes they show a black model - but do not mention the 'v2' in its name.
How do I know what I am buying?
Is there a code which identifies each product version?
I have had no useful reply from Netgear yet.
Message 1 of 15
Skywarp
Tutor

Re: How identify between model versions NV+ v1 & NV+ v2

Please check:
http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=5044

as for the model numbers:
v1 units should be RND4xxx, RND4xxxv1 or RND4xxx-100XXX
v2 units should be RND4xxxv2 or RND4xxx-200XXX

(xxx is disk configuration and XXX is region)
Message 2 of 15
chirpa
Luminary

Message 3 of 15
robby99
Aspirant

Thankyou very much. Having scanned the linked page I have come to the conclusion that there is no way to find out which version of a NV+ you would be buying.
It appears that the only certain way to know is if you see the power connector at the back. As I am trying to buy a new item from a company - then unless the box has a picture on it that shows the rear of the device there is no way to know.

It appears there is no point relying on the 'v' number on a label on the item (which would mean opening the box anyway).
It is also no use relying on the RND4210 vX number in the advert - as many sites do not indicate the 'v' number at all. A cheap price may or may not be because they are selling the v1 model.

I was wondering whether Netgears SKU for the units differed for the two versions.

Can anyone help. Is there anyway from looking at the oustide of an unopened box to know what is inside. Surely there must be!?
Message 4 of 15
Skywarp
Tutor

to be more clear, hopefully:

v1 units SKUs:
RND4xxx-100XXX
v2 units SKUs:
RND4xxx-200XXX

(xxx is disk configuration and XXX is region)
Message 5 of 15
robby99
Aspirant

So the link to this site
http://www.kikatek.com/P209298/RND4210-200EUS-Netgear-ReadyNAS-NV-RND4210-2TB

has a Manufacturers SKU: RND4210-200EUS
But when you look at the pictures and see the reverse it shows an IEC connector - which I now understand to imply it is a NV+ v1
Does the RND4xxx-Y00XXX always appear on the outside of the box? If it does I can then ask them to read it and confirm.
Message 6 of 15
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Hi robby99
Going by that link you posted i presume you are in the Uk
Check this link http://www.dabs.com/products/netgear-re ... 0v2&src=16
and if you want it with Hard disks a good option would be to purchase a couple of the WD Reds to populate it which are on the HCL for NV+ v2 http://www.dabs.com/products/western-di ... ive&src=16
they allso do 1TB and 2TB versions
You could get that lot for £426.94 from Dabs which is a very good price.
Message 7 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That kikatek page lists the specs of the v1.
Message 8 of 15
HERBIEO
Aspirant

I think some retailers are misleading customers that clearly is a v1 on that kikatek page but robby99 is correct that it shows Manufacturers SKU: RND4210-200EUS which is v2 SKU its no wonder people get confused.
Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

HERBIEO wrote:
I think some retailers are misleading customers that clearly is a v1 on that kikatek page but robby99 is correct that it shows Manufacturers SKU: RND4210-200EUS which is v2 SKU its no wonder people get confused.
I think the sku is likely to be correct.

I don't think I can fault the retailers. This was caused by a foolish re-use of the NV+ and Duo model names, compounded by Netgear's inability to get the specs right on their own web pages.
Message 10 of 15
robby99
Aspirant

A suggestion for Netgear is that when they produce a product that they ALWAYS give it a version number. Then, if a subsequent version appears it will Always be clear - since all versions of the product have a version number. Currently the device "PRODUCT" has its name changed to "PRODUCT v1" as soon as "PRODUCT v2" is produced. In fact it is the manufacturer who is changing names and adding to the confusion.

a) I think it would be a good thing if the SKU numbers were put somewhere so people can know what product it relates to.
b) Also it would be good if they said that the SKU always appears on the external packaging.
c) The ciriteria list that you have at the end of your last post identifes the software & hardware used - ad can be used to try to work out the version of the unit. Could i suggest that they also specify the SKU in this list - as this would be totally unique and explicit.

Could I suggest you raise these suggestions to to those concerned.

Many thanks for helping me understand all this.

Aslo thanks to HERBIO for the suggetsion of buying a bare unit and populating it with disks - it comes out even cheaper!
Message 11 of 15
chirpa
Luminary

We tried to raise those exact notes to management when they came up with the idea to use the name 'Duo v2', but it got shot down.
Message 12 of 15
HERBIEO
Aspirant

robby99 if you decide not to go with the WD Reds make sure you stick with drives on the HCL > http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641
Message 13 of 15
robby99
Aspirant

In the end I have ordered the bare drive + WD Red drives.

re Netgear
Can I suggest that the SKU is at least documented somewhere .
I have spent over 6 hours trying to work out this information.
On some of the forums It appears some people have bought the wrong version and become disappointed. This may have resulted in delays as people had to send back drives, others having to live with an older model and feeling unhappy. I suspect thousands of hours have been sent enquiring about this.

If management don't want to put a "v1" on the initial version (which I can understand they do not like), can i suggest they qualify the model with a name
e.g. call the first one NV+ alpha
and the second NV+ beta

You probably wouldn't want to call them those names - but at least give them a qualifier.
This issue is a common problem when an initial 'product' becomes a series of products.
Message 14 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

The Netgear practice is to put the version number in the model number extension. However, some retailers either don't put the number in their listing or may not update their listing. I do know that Newegg here in the states is very good about always listing the full model number. Part of the extension on the model number is the region. Thus the model you want is the RND4xxx-200EUS (the EUS indicates the EU) I believe the EUS model comes with both the continental as well as the UK modular power cord.

The original version (RND4xxx-100EUS) should be completely out of stock in the larger mainstream store as it is here, however, some new in unopened boxes may still be found in smaller niche type stores, as they can be here.

BTW - the -100xxx and -200xxx and -300xxx applies to all of Netgear's products, not just the ReadyNAS units.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements