× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Initial findings with new Duo V2

tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Initial findings with new Duo V2

I've already sent a few posts about my initial experience with the new Duo V2, but thought it easier to put it into one feedback post...

I've previously used the ReadyNAS Duo (V1) for a few years, with a final hardware configuration with 1GB RAM and 2x Seagate 2TB HDDs (ST2000DL003)

So, back to the new Duo V2 (running arm 5.3.2), this was the RND2000-200EUS (diskless) model - I'm UK-based, but there doesn't appear to a UK SKU, but the EU model does include a UK and Euro power cables...

Hardware Compatibility List:
This doesn't appear to have the 2TB version of my previous Seagate HDDs, but does have the 1.5TB version, so I initially installed the two ST2000DL003 drives.
I later replaced these with Western Digital (WD20EARX) 2TB HDDs (see below why)...

GUI:
Loads much faster, bit more bling, simpler to navigate, etc...
However, having been used to Front View, it is a bit limited. I can understand this, as it probably targetted to the home-user more than the pro-sumer...

Performance:
Read/writes over the network greatly improved - 40-50MB/s... However, going back to the GUI - you can't adjust the MTU, and currently it is not set up for Jumbo Packets ('ping -f -l' can easily prove that), would this improve performance?
(Works great over wireless too - but didn't benchmark).

DNLA:
I guess still under development - if you modify a file (e.g mp3 ID tag), it will still broadcasts the original version. Going back to the GUI - there is no option to 'Rescan Media'... Hopefully resolved with new firmware.

ReadyNAS Remote:
Doesn't work with iOS devices (iPhone/iPad, etc) as yet. Hopefully resolved with new firmware.

Volume Scan (i_block errors):
Here's my main issue - which might be a problem with my particular Duo V2...
When I did a Restart with Volume Scan, I would get a notification email about 'Volume scan found and corrected errors'. These errors were all related to: Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes - Inode 26181655, i_blocks is 739472, should be 739480. Fix? yes (for about 4-10 different Inode/i_block references). This occured after heavy writes made to the Duo. Once the Volume Scan corrected these errors, subsequent restarts had no errors until a large amount of more data was copied to the Duo.
I initially thought this was due to the Seagte drives not being on the HCL, so went out and purchased two new WD drives (WD20EARX) that were on the HCL... I rebuilt the Duo (volume build takes about 7 hours!). However, as before - started to get the same i_block erros on restart/volume scan... I've just reinstalled the arm 5.3.2 firmware and kicked off a factory reset, so we'll see what happens next...

Summary:
Much improved performance,but still early days in terms of the firmware... Fustration at possible RMA for a brand new (week-old) Duo V2...

Can someone please shed more light on these Inode/i_blocks erros please (below is a last example prior to reinstalling the firmware)...?

***** File system check performed at Sat Jan 7 10:11:28 WET 2012 *****
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Inode 26181655, i_blocks is 739472, should be 739480. Fix? yes

Inode 26181996, i_blocks is 547568, should be 547576. Fix? yes

Inode 26182037, i_blocks is 671744, should be 671752. Fix? yes

Inode 26182083, i_blocks is 594160, should be 594168. Fix? yes

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/mapper/c-c: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/mapper/c-c: 14538/30285824 files (1.0% non-contiguous), 79676625/484573184 blocks
Message 1 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

tim_hamblin wrote:

However, going back to the GUI - you can't adjust the MTU, and currently it is not set up for Jumbo Packets ('ping -f -l' can easily prove that), would this improve performance?

Yes, Jumbo Frames would improve performance, however performance is already pretty quick compared with Duo v1. Users not knowing what they're doing enabling Jumbo Frames can cause problems. However if you want it you could SSH in and edit /etc/network/interfaces adding e.g. MTU=9000 for the line for "eth0".
tim_hamblin wrote:

ReadyNAS Remote:
Doesn't work with iOS devices (iPhone/iPad, etc) as yet. Hopefully resolved with new firmware.

Install the add-on posted by chirpa:
chirpa wrote:

To use Remote on iPhone/Android (via FTP) on Duo v2, try this add-on: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/arm/5.3/RemoteiPhone-arm_1.1.bin (enables the FTP service on the Remote network interface)
Future Remote or iPhone will have the option to use CIFS instead of FTP. Not sure when that will go through the App Store approval process.

tim_hamblin wrote:

Volume Scan (i_block errors):
Here's my main issue - which might be a problem with my particular Duo V2...
When I did a Restart with Volume Scan, I would get a notification email about 'Volume scan found and corrected errors'. These errors were all related to: Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes - Inode 26181655, i_blocks is 739472, should be 739480. Fix? yes (for about 4-10 different Inode/i_block references). This occured after heavy writes made to the Duo. Once the Volume Scan corrected these errors, subsequent restarts had no errors until a large amount of more data was copied to the Duo.

Would suggest opening a tech support (http://www.readynas.com/support) case and working with them on this issue. Please post your case number in case a tech support representative sees this thread.

edit: Don't edit /etc/network/interfaces. Edit /etc/default/services. There is a line you can add that should enable jumbo frames: "JUMBO_FRAMES_eth0=0" (no quotes). An OS re-install should disable Jumbo Frames if this doesn't work.
Message 2 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm for the fast response... Will keep you updated as to how the rebuild goes, etc...
Message 3 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Install the add-on posted by chirpa:
chirpa wrote:

To use Remote on iPhone/Android (via FTP) on Duo v2, try this add-on: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/arm/5.3/RemoteiPhone-arm_1.1.bin (enables the FTP service on the Remote network interface)
Future Remote or iPhone will have the option to use CIFS instead of FTP. Not sure when that will go through the App Store approval process.

Tried the new Remote iPhone add-on... That pretty much stuffed up the Duo V2's Add-ons... ReadyNAS Remote either doesn't install if installed after the iPhone Remore Add-ons, or installs with old style purple Netgear icon or a missing icon. If I try to reinstall the arm 5.3.2 firmware, all the installed Add-ons disappear, and there are none available to install (including ReadyNAS Photos II).

If I try to install the iPhone Add-on again I just get a 'Failed to install Add-on' message. However, the Logs say the 'Add-on installed successfully' and then the Add-ons then reappear - very strange behaviour... The ReadyNAS Remote icon remains the old style purple Netgear icon, not the Remote folder style icon... Removed ReadyNAS REmote Add-on and reinstalled it - I now have jigsaw piece style icon... Strange?
Message 4 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Just read other posts about issues with RedayNAS Remote and Duo V2... Cleared my web-browser (ie9) cache... Rebooted Duo V2, and again - no Add-ons available or installed...
Message 5 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Raising a Ticket now - started to copy data back onto Duo V2 - Volume Scan comes back with errors:
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Inode 28611385, i_blocks is 585088, should be 585096. Fix? yes

Inode 28611393, i_blocks is 717224, should be 717232. Fix? yes

Inode 28611434, i_blocks is 626624, should be 626632. Fix? yes

Inode 28611438, i_blocks is 420616, should be 420624. Fix? yes

Inode 28611445, i_blocks is 623528, should be 623536. Fix? yes

Inode 28611515, i_blocks is 726496, should be 726504. Fix? yes

Inode 28611538, i_blocks is 501496, should be 501504. Fix? yes

Inode 28611585, i_blocks is 693720, should be 693728. Fix? yes

Inode 28611620, i_blocks is 853008, should be 853016. Fix? yes

Inode 28611629, i_blocks is 558904, should be 558912. Fix? yes

Inode 28611912, i_blocks is 355952, should be 355960. Fix? yes

Inode 28639706, i_blocks is 426088, should be 426096. Fix? yes

Inode 28639716, i_blocks is 585088, should be 585096. Fix? yes

Inode 28639724, i_blocks is 717224, should be 717232. Fix? yes

Inode 28639755, i_blocks is 606064, should be 606072. Fix? yes

Inode 28639803, i_blocks is 726496, should be 726504. Fix? yes

Inode 28639876, i_blocks is 863200, should be 863208. Fix? yes

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/mapper/c-c: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/mapper/c-c: 23121/30285824 files (0.9% non-contiguous), 22901818/484573184 blocks
Message 6 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Your support request has been saved:

The reference number is 17596606, a representative will reply to you shortly
Message 7 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Not impressed with Netgear Support so far - was told that the WD20EARX are not on the HCL for the ReadyNAS DUo V2...
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2 TB 6Gb/s 64 MB No 3
Message 8 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The WD20EARX are on the Hard Disk HCL for the Duo v2. If you haven't already please contact tech support again informing them of this and referring to the compatibility list page.
Message 9 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Netgear Support admitted they were incorrect - I have now sent in Logs, etc...

But now Netgear Support have just closed the case without even verifying things are working - I STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUES - Volume Scan finds errors after data is written to the NAS, and my Add-ons are not visible!!!

NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!!!!!

I've openned a new Case # 17615311, and also provided appropriate feedback on the old case...
Message 10 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

RMA finally approved...
Message 11 of 27
amidroc
Tutor

Did tech support give you a reason? I am experiencing the same problems with my NV+ V2 running ARM 5.3.2 and two WD20EARX-00PASB0. I have a case opened up and waiting for a response.
Message 12 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

amidroc wrote:
Did tech support give you a reason? I am experiencing the same problems with my NV+ V2 running ARM 5.3.2 and two WD20EARX-00PASB0. I have a case opened up and waiting for a response.

I ended up pushing back on the Support... They initially just closed the case for no reason... The Health Status is a bit confusing as all 'LEDs' show Green status. But Volume Scan finds and corrects errors (i_blocks related) after heavy writes made to the Duo V2... This is not just with WD HDDs, as I found this to be an issue with Seagate HDDs...

My other issue was the disappearing Add-ons... I've done some more testing - this might be related to a corrupt ARM 5.3.2 firmware from ReadyNAS website (which I have downloaded several times)...

Factory Defaults >> Add-ons available in Dashboard to install and configure
(Re)install 5.3.2 firmware downloaded from ReadyNAS website >> Add-ons disappear from Dashboard
Install 5.3.3[T8] beta firmware >> Add-ons available
Roll-back to 5.3.2 firmware from ReadyNAS website >> Add-ons disppear from Dashboard...
Message 13 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Well finally received my replacement ReadyNAS Duo...

However, I've now lost complete faith in NetGear... They've shipped me a ReadyNAS Duo Version 1 (Sparc-based unit), not the new ARM-based ReadyNAS Duo Version 2... :evil: :evil: :evil:

New ticket raised #17703285
Message 14 of 27
Sunday_Afterno1
Aspirant

Now that really sucks! I hope they send the replacement for the replacement overnight.

You probably know this already, but it bears repeating: don't, repeat, don't put your v2 disks in a v1 unless you want to lose your data!
Message 15 of 27
yoh-dah
Guide

tim_hamblin wrote:
Well finally received my replacement ReadyNAS Duo...

However, I've now lost complete faith in NetGear... They've shipped me a ReadyNAS Duo Version 1 (Sparc-based unit), not the new ARM-based ReadyNAS Duo Version 2... :evil: :evil: :evil:

New ticket raised #17703285

I understand your frustration and apologize for the unnecessary problems you're going through. We're addressing this issue at our RMA center, so hopefully we won't run into the confusion in the future.
Message 16 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Well I got a repy back from NetGear Support last night.... Support clearly don't read the ticket history (although I'm now on my thrid support ticket)...

"Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is <first-name> and I will be your support engineer. Since we are doing this online, it may require a few e-mail exchanges before we can resolve the issue. We will do our best to help resolve your case in the least possible time.
I understand that you recently got a ReadyNAS Duo replaced with a ReadyNAS Duo version 2. Understandably you want the correct device sent to you.
You could have received the version 2 if we are out of stock of the version 1 of the Duo. I see that you're located in the UK. It would be best to contact them over the phone and have them check the warehouse. They can be reached at +44(0)8448 75 4000"

Alas, this is not the response I expected...
The faulty unit I shipped back for RMA was the new ReadyNAS Duo V2 (part number: RND2000-200EUS, serial number: 2UM11AEK0088D) - this is the latest ARM-based model. What I received back is the older ReadyNAS Duo (model number: RND2000-200WWB, serial number: 2102927J00C5F) - which is Sparc-based. These are not the same NAS units - if had put my original WD20EARX HDDs drives from my RND2000-200EUS into the replacement RND2000-200WWB I would have lost all my data. In light of the fact that NetGear are unable to provide the correct RMA unit, the only logical solution is for them to provide a new retail unit (especially as it was only one week old when I raised my original support ticket). I also believe that I should not have to pay any shipping costs in returning the incorrect RMA replacement back to NetGear....

I find it 'amusing' that it is now suggested for me to phone and check their warehouse stock - I am the customer!!!
Message 17 of 27
PapaBear1
Guide

tim_hamblin - you say the model you received from Netgear as replacement on your RMA is part number RND2000-200WWB. The 200 would indicate a v2. Can you verify that you have the small fan on the rear and the front door says just ReadnNAS Duo.

Also, if you have a spare hard disk, power up the replacement and see what version of RAIDiator is on it.

I know that you feel as though since the unit was only a week old when it failed, you should receive a new unit, and that does in fact happen from time to time when no suitable refurbished unit is available, but the policy (like most companies) is to provide a refurbished unit as RMA replacement. When I got my first NVX, I could not get it to boot, and worked with the technician at Netgear. At one point, it appeared I had a bad chassis, and he was preparing an RMA, when I removed the memory module and reseated it and the unit booted just fine (and has been running fine for 18 months now). He was going to give me an RMA number, but said I should see if the vendor would replace it, for they would replace it with a brand new unit whereas Netgear would ship a refurbished unit. He also commented that I paid for a new unit and should get one.

Another thought, I believe you have had the unit less than 90 days and you get 90 days of free telephone support. Have you tried calling Netgear tech support and then get the case escalated? Although, I am sure you have steam coming out of your ears, just keep in mind that persistence over anger is far better.
Message 18 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

PapaBear wrote:
tim_hamblin - you say the model you received from Netgear as replacement on your RMA is part number RND2000-200WWB. The 200 would indicate a v2.

Unfortunately a number of v1 units were labelled RND2000-200 (Have a look at How to tell whether I have a Duo v1 or Duo v2 or NV+ v1 or NV+ v2), which is very confusing I know. The WWB is for refurbished.

Now this may have changed but as the Duo v2 is a pretty new product there would either be no refurbished units or a very limited supply of them. If NetGear has no refurb v2s they should replace with a new unit.
Message 19 of 27
PapaBear1
Guide

I was not sure about the 200, did know the WWB indicated a refurbished unit (which would be a little unusual this fast after the release of a new model) the fan is probably the dead cinch give away, as doors and trim and stickers could be swapped, but that fan difference would indicate a totally different chassis. I have sent a PM to a member who seems to have close contact with tech support.

All the more reason that the new Arm units should have had different model names. Given the pattern of the Ultra and Pro Series, something with a 2 for the 2 bay and 4 for the 4 bay. Would have been a lot less confusion and allowed for a 6 bay ARM based entry level unit as well. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here :? ). Tatooine 2,4,6 has a nice ring.
Message 20 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

Definately the older ReadyNAS Duo - rear panel has a 60 mm fan, only USB 2.0 ports and recessed power socket. Also the chassis is black, not dark grey. The front lower edge below the door has ReadyNAS Duo on it, not ReadyNAS Duo V2. And the final clue is the 15 Sep 2010 date stamp on the brown refurb box...
Message 21 of 27
PapaBear1
Guide

Sounds like a confirmed ID to me. I did PM someone who seems to have a close connection to Tech Support.
Message 22 of 27
amidroc
Tutor

tim_hamblin wrote:

I ended up pushing back on the Support... They initially just closed the case for no reason... The Health Status is a bit confusing as all 'LEDs' show Green status. But Volume Scan finds and corrects errors (i_blocks related) after heavy writes made to the Duo V2... This is not just with WD HDDs, as I found this to be an issue with Seagate HDDs...

My other issue was the disappearing Add-ons... I've done some more testing - this might be related to a corrupt ARM 5.3.2 firmware from ReadyNAS website (which I have downloaded several times)...

Factory Defaults >> Add-ons available in Dashboard to install and configure
(Re)install 5.3.2 firmware downloaded from ReadyNAS website >> Add-ons disappear from Dashboard
Install 5.3.3[T8] beta firmware >> Add-ons available
Roll-back to 5.3.2 firmware from ReadyNAS website >> Add-ons disppear from Dashboard...

I was also given then RMA authorization today.

Tech support had me try and boot to OS reinstall. But I couldn't get past Boot Mode > Normal. They figured the unit was bad and are sending out the RMA.
I also downloaded the 5.3.2 FW from the site and also lost all my add-ons. i had to delete and reinstall to get them back. it took a power cycle to get it back to "normal." Did the 5.3.3 FW clear up the errors found under a volume scan?

I feel your pain on not getting the right RMA sent out the first time. I hope I don't have to deal with that also.
Message 23 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

I had a very productive call and email exchange with NetGear Support in the UK yesterday, and the wheels are now in motion for the correct ReadyNAS Duo V2 replacement (which is being Advance Shipped as we speak)... Thank you!!

Hopefully the confusion that there has been with this new model has now been clarified, so that future support and RMAs wouldn't need to go through the same teething process...

The UK NetGear Support number is at +44(0)8448 75 4000, and there is also a new specific Support line for ReadyNAS and ProSafe products: 0843 453 8000
Message 24 of 27
tim_hamblin
Aspirant

amidroc wrote:

Did the 5.3.3 FW clear up the errors found under a volume scan?

Alas no, the Voume Scan errors didn't go away with 5.3.3... The Volume Scan corrected the i_blocks errors, but every reboot after writing data to the NAS found more errors...
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements