× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Likely Readynas 3-series

janpeter1
Luminary

Hi

Thank you for the tips on 3rd party (windows) software to do checksum tests.
After all I am mainly a Mac user and some search on internet gave me the following
that may be useful to some other Mac users:

* General information valid cross platform:

- there is a tip to use a facility in Carbon Copy Cloner that I thought interesting as I have the software

* Search on checksum on App store gave 20+ products to my surprise

But after all what I think would be much better is a function in OS6 that does the work
or why not a 3rd party plugin that do the job. Since it may take some time to do the
checksum work for an incremental backup, better that the NAS did the work in the background.

Message 26 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Its true that the NAS could compute checksums in the background (an add-on could be built to do this).  Though that wouldn't ensure that the NAS copy matches what was on the PC, and you'd likely want something that can be verified on any popular platform.

Anyway, I think you understand what the current situation is.  You could submit a feature request, or see if someone is interested in building a suitable add-on.

Message 27 of 29
janpeter1
Luminary

I understand that there are two backup process to ensure:

a) from Mac/PC to NAS

b) from NAS to external HD

However in case of photos I take them directly to the NAS and they never enter my desktop.

Could be other stuff that lands first in the NAS too. So I focused my concern on step b) above.

For some Mac/PC software they likely can check the checksums for two external disks like NAS and external HD,

while many need at least one of the HD to be intetnal to the Mac/PC.

How do I proceed to suggest some add-on to the NAS that do the job b) outlined?

Message 28 of 29
StephenB
Guru

You could put a suggestion in the Feature Request & Feedback subforum.

You could also make a request at rnxtras.com (not a netgear site)

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements