× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Memory upgrade of a ReadyNAS NV+

Biker1
Tutor

Memory upgrade of a ReadyNAS NV+

Biker wants to share some of his own experience from a memory upgrade of his ReadyNAS NV+. He could'nt find this documented anywhere.

First some tips:

There is only one slot for the memory stick. The original memory stick, as delivered from Infrant, will become redundant. And most likely take up place in one of your drawers for ever.

Don't buy a 512MB stick, thinking that you'll add another 512MB later. Won't work. If you aim for 1GB of memory, get it right away.

Almost anyone that can handle a Phillips screwdriver will be able to do the upgrade.

A simple HowTo:

Shutdown the NV+ and power it off.

Disconnect all cables.

Remove the four phillips screws on the back side. They will release the two side panels.

Pull the side panels to rear of the unit, about 1/4" or some 6-7 millimeters.

Carefully remove the side panels.

Remove the four phillips screws holding the top panel and remove the panel.

You will find the existing memory stick under the top panel.

Carefully bend the two plastic arms on the short sides of the memory stick to the sides. Don't brake them! Help the existing stick to pop up. Don't try to pull the stick backwards. It will pop up to almost 45 degrees. Once in the 45 degrees position, you can pull the stick out. It requires a very small amount of force to convince the stick to come out. Be careful.

Store away the old stick in your drawer for ever.

Push the new stick in the slot, respecting the angle. Make sure it seats correctly. There is a tab betwen the contacts making it impossible to install it upside-down. Once correctly seated, carefully push it down until the two plastic arms grab the stick. You may need to help the plastic arms to fully get in place.

Remount the top panel and the two side panels. Reconnect your cables and power on.

Verify the new memory amount in FrontView.

As Biker already told you, be careful! Biker won't accept any responsibility of you foul up.
Message 1 of 20
Biker1
Tutor

Taking off the side panels.
Message 2 of 20
Biker1
Tutor

Side panels removed.
Message 3 of 20
Biker1
Tutor

Memory stick released.
Message 4 of 20
Biker1
Tutor

Installing the new memory stick.
Message 5 of 20
yoh-dah
Guide

Thanks for the nice howto biker. Just to add to this, whenever updating the memory, please remember to run the memory test as described here: http://www.infrant.com/wiki/index.php/F ... is_good.3F

We have seen several instances where user replaces the memory only to find it leading to data corruption. :shock:
Message 6 of 20
bhoar
Aspirant

Brendan notices that Biker's instructions are especially clear, perhaps due to lack of third person self-referential verbiage? Brendan also figures Biker knows this well and smartly shifted his approach for the instructions and therefore gets kudos all around.

-brendan
Message 7 of 20
barsk
Aspirant

bhoar wrote:
Brendan notices that Biker's instructions are especially clear, perhaps due to lack of third person self-referential verbiage? Brendan also figures Biker knows this well and smartly shifted his approach for the instructions and therefore gets kudos all around.

-brendan

Indeed!

Even Barsk acknowledges this. Barsk sends his thanks for a great How-To.
Though Barsk has a question. Will changing the memory stick void warranty?

/Barsk
Message 8 of 20
tcronin
Aspirant

great information!

what is the memory spec (what type to use)

are there significant benefits to upgrading?
Message 9 of 20
tcronin
Aspirant

tcronin wrote:
great information!

hah! RTFF 😄

faq.php#Is_there_any_advantage_in_having_more_memory%3F
faq.php#Will_increasing_the_amount_of_memory_in_the_ReadyNAS_improve_performance%3F
faq.php#Where_can_I_find_the_ReadyNAS_memory_specification%3F
Message 10 of 20
chirpa
Luminary

tcronin wrote:
http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=83
tcronin wrote:
Will get a bit of a performance boost, and memory hungry applications (like BitTorrent,SlimServer) will run a lot happier.
Message 11 of 20
Jonavin
Aspirant

How long is the memory test supposed to take?
Message 12 of 20
Jonavin
Aspirant

Looks like it took just over an hour for the first full pass (8 cycles). Doing a couple more because bad RAM can cause a lot of random problems so you can never be too safe.
Message 13 of 20
homie
Aspirant

how can I see how much memory my ReadyNas NV+ has (besides opening it up)
Message 14 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Look at the home page of Frontview (the web admin interface).
Message 15 of 20
BFG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure if this is the right place for help. [edit: solved]

READYNAS NV+ 2 TB RND4450 Running 4.1.7

Trying a ram upgrade to 1gb. Crucial memory on the HCL. Installed, powered on holding the button for the memory test, saw no flashing beyond the initial flicker.

Then lights 1 and 3 lit solid, and nothing further. Let go after about 30 seconds, lights remain lit, no other activity and now can't switch off. Power button not responding.

Edit: Well, I had to pull the power cord. On next power-on, I was able to do the mem test and all was fine.
Message 16 of 20
Hitokiri
Aspirant

How do I do the memory test? The link to the wiki page was not found 😞

I upgraded my Duo from 256megs to 1024 and it runs like it always have apart from now saying it has 1024 megs.
Message 17 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is an old thread. The memory test instructions are here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#Is_there_a_way_I_can_verify_if_my_memory_is_good%3F

Be sure to run the memory test at least twice.

Be aware that NetGear doesn't support 3rd party memory upgrades. So if you encounter problems due to using 3rd party memory NetGear may be unable to help. See http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=83
Message 18 of 20
Hitokiri
Aspirant

Thanks for the link i'll be doing the memory test right away.
Message 19 of 20
smartstart
Aspirant

memory test instructions are very much of use! good job done, guys
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements