× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating drives between ReadyNAS units

Mstead
Follower

Migrating drives between ReadyNAS units

Hoping that someone will be able to help!
I have a failed ReadyNAS V1 (RND4000); the power supply has failed. There are 4 disks in the unit that were default formatted to RAIDX. I’m wanting to move the disks to another unit (RND10400). Can I do this and keep the data? If so, how?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Migrating drives between ReadyNAS units

@Mstead wrote:
Can I do this and keep the data? 

No.  The platform is very different, and that won't work.

You can ask support to temporarily mount your disks in the new NAS so you can offload the data somewhere else.  They often charge for that.  https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

If you can connect the disks to a PC you could use R-Studio software to access the files.  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/Download.shtml  If the PC is running linux, you can also mount the array manually.

Message 2 of 6
progers1000
Aspirant

I spoke with support and they said this would work.  I put the old drives in the new device and it has been booting for 15 minutes.  Thoughts?

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only,RN214D41|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Did you tell support that you'd tried to do an OS reinstall with the migrated disks in place?

Message 4 of 6
progers1000
Aspirant

Sorry let me give you a little more details and let me know if this is the wrong thread.  I have an older ReadyNAS.  It recently failed and won't power-up.  I think there is a problem with the power supply.  I want to know if I can buy a new one and move the disks from the old device into the new device.  Support provided me with a model that would work as long as I put the drive in the same order.  I did that, turned it on but it just said booting for 15 minutes.  I stopped it because I was concerned it was going to format the disks.  I don't want to lose the data on the existing drives. 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@progers1000 wrote:

Sorry let me give you a little more details and let me know if this is the wrong thread.  I have an older ReadyNAS.  It recently failed and won't power-up.  I think there is a problem with the power supply.  I want to know if I can buy a new one and move the disks from the old device into the new device.  Support provided me with a model that would work as long as I put the drive in the same order.  I did that, turned it on but it just said booting for 15 minutes.  I stopped it because I was concerned it was going to format the disks.  I don't want to lose the data on the existing drives. 

Let's stick with one thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Upgrading-to-ReadyNAS-214/m-p/1657479

Generally speaking, if you have a support case it is probably best to work directly with paid support, to prevent confusion.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements