× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: More than two Drive Mirroring

MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

More than two Drive Mirroring

Version 4.x can do a three drive mirror by selecting the manual raid level, in version 6.x this is gone, it was a really handy feature for Seven of the Sites I manage, I can't see that this feature is going to cause any headache's for the hardware.
Message 1 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

What do you mean by a 3 drive mirror? Do you mean a 3 drive raid 5 volume, or a 6 drive raid 1 volume, or something else?
Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

vandermerwe wrote:
What do you mean by a 3 drive mirror? Do you mean a 3 drive raid 5 volume, or a 6 drive raid 1 volume, or something else?
He means 3-drive RAID-1. Everything written three times, so you have dual-redundancy protection with three drives.

I am not a fan of his envisioned usage (which is to pull drives for backup w/o losing redundancy). But there are likely some cases where the data is critical enough that the users simply would want the extra protection (and perhaps prefer the simplicity of recovery that RAID-1 offers). I believe the mode is already used for the OS partition, and it is available in flex-raid with OS 4 (and the OP is using it there).

It'd be interesting to hear from other users who would use this feature.
Message 3 of 8
ljung
Tutor

You could create a new volume on the third drive (in flex-raid mode) and create a backup job.
Message 4 of 8
MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
He means 3-drive RAID-1. Everything written three times, so you have dual-redundancy protection with three drives. I believe the mode is already used for the OS partition, and it is available in flex-raid with OS 4 (and the OP is using it there).

It'd be interesting to hear from other users who would use this feature.

Yep

why we want it is another discussion I'd like to keep to another thread (I believe there are already discussions on this in the forum/manuals)
Message 5 of 8
Jigar_soni
Aspirant

first switch to flex raid and format your new hdd & create new volume (REMEMBER DON`T CLICK ON "add parity"
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Jigar soni wrote:
first switch to flex raid and format your new hdd & create new volume (REMEMBER DON`T CLICK ON "add parity"
He doesn't want a new volume. He wants one RAID-1 volume with 3 disks (triple mirroring).
Message 7 of 8
MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Jigar soni wrote:

When you select more than three drives to create the array, the Mirrored option blanks out, I'm about to get another ReadyNAS for another site, I'll attempt to do some screen dumps showing you what I'm referring to.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements