× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving Devices

cemery
Follower

Moving Devices

I currently have 2 RND4210's and 1 RN10211D. They are connected to our network through a switch into the server. We aremoving our office and changing our network setup. The network will consist of 2 PCs, router and the NAS devices. Am I able to connect the NAS devices into the router to access and store documents and files or do I need toconnect the NAS devices into a switch then into the router? We want to eliminate our server and simplify our network to more of a home group. What is the easiest and simpliest way to connect the NAS devices so we can retrieve and store from 2 PCs and perform our backups?

Model: ReadyNAS RND4210|ReadyNAS NV+,RN10211D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 7
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: Moving Devices

Try avoiding bottlenecks. If both PCs have wired connection, then connect both PCs and the three NASes to the switch, then the switch to the router. If both PCs are connected to the router via WiFi, connect the NASes to the router. The multiple LAN ports on your router are nothing more than a small builtin switch.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@jak0lantash wrote:

Try avoiding bottlenecks...

I totally agree.  

If the router doesn't have enough ethernet ports (which might be your situation), then get a switch that does, and connect all the wired devices to that switch.  If you have multiple switches, then the connections between them can become bottlenecks.

@jak0lantash wrote:

If both PCs are connected to the router via WiFi, connect the NASes to the router. 

The router's wifi won't be able to deliver a gigabit of throughput, so I think it's fine to keep the NAS on a switch if this is your situation.

Message 3 of 7
jak0lantash
Mentor

@StephenB wrote:

@jak0lantash wrote:

If both PCs are connected to the router via WiFi, connect the NASes to the router. 

The router's wifi won't be able to deliver a gigabit of throughput, so I think it's fine to keep the NAS on a switch if this is your situation.

Depends of the WiFi and the switch 😉
But yeah, it's unlikely that the router is capable of 802.11ac and the switch FastEthernet 😄

You're probably right, connecting everything to the switch covers most situations anyway.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

He should also use gigabit throughout, since he wants good performance.

Message 5 of 7
jak0lantash
Mentor

Can you share more details about the switch and the router? Model number or name and brand?

Message 6 of 7
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What is the server doing in your current setup?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements