× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Moving full discs from RN214 to RN316

Kiko381
Aspirant

Moving full discs from RN214 to RN316

Hi all

I am pretty new at setting up NAS systems, have been very happy with my RN214, but the discs are pretty much full (4 x 6tb drives -WD 6 TB NAS Desktop Hard Disk Drive (Intellipower SATA 6 Gb/s 64 MB Cache) - 3.5 inch, Red), and I want to upgrade to the RN316, eventually to 6 x 10 tb drives  ( SkyHawk ST10000VX0004), but scared of losing or damaging the data already held on the existing drives.

As I said I am a total newbie and I have 2 questions (Simple answers appreciated!)

1 Can I just move the existing 6 drives in the same order into the RN316 and then add 2 additional 10tb drives at a later date?

2. Once the system has re set up and all working again, could I then just remove the 6tb drives one at a time and replace with 10tb drives, and will RAID restore the files onto the new drive from the remaining files (in the same way it would with a disc failiure)?

Sorry if these questions are rather basic, reading the exisiting discussions have just confused me more.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
funglenn
Luminary

Yes, i just moved from a 204 to a 516.  i migrated my 4 disks over--just make sure you place them in the same order.  Later on, i inserted additional disks to take advantage of the additional slots and the array grew on its won.

Yes, it will automatically see larger drives and will expand the array. Just make sure you give it time to repair the array in between swapping out the drives--does that make sense?  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
funglenn
Luminary

Yes, i just moved from a 204 to a 516.  i migrated my 4 disks over--just make sure you place them in the same order.  Later on, i inserted additional disks to take advantage of the additional slots and the array grew on its won.

Yes, it will automatically see larger drives and will expand the array. Just make sure you give it time to repair the array in between swapping out the drives--does that make sense?  

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Uninstall all your apps before migrating from arm to x86 ReadyNAS.   The system will convert itself from arm to x86, but it won't do the apps.

On the 10 TB disks - larger disks are switching to "alternative mounting positions", so you probably do want to check the mount positions they use (side and bottom) before purchase.  You can remove the plastic inserts, and use the bottom screws if needed.  Some of the holes still might not align - though the disks can be secured even with one pair of screws.

Netgear has recently added more holes to the bottom of the trays, but there's no guarantee that a newly purchased RN316 will have them (it might be older inventory).

Message 3 of 4
Kiko381
Aspirant

Will give that a go, thanks mr

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements