× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Disk added to slot 3 and its now not working correctly.

Untamedgeek
Aspirant

New Disk added to slot 3 and its now not working correctly.

Good evening everyone, I really hope someon can help.

Currently have a NASready NV+ v2 with Slots 1 & 2 contianing 1TB and everything was working fine, other than being a little close to being full.

Two 3TB WD Red drives were purchased and today I put the first of these in. (I initially planned on doing a factory reset but adding storage was just as good). However after putting the new disk into slot three and allowing it to do its thing, I am now left with things not being as they should. 

Firstly files are there one minute and then gone.

If slot 3 in removed, C:/ disappeares.

A back up is unable to be completed.

I'm tried going back to the 2 x 1TB (I labelled them so who was 1 & 2) as well as looking at the partions created and I can see that the new 3TB has the same partions as slot 1 leaving 2TB of unallocated space.

I followed the instuctions on adding expansion yet I seem to be left in an awful mess. Any help would be greatfully received. 

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: New Disk added to slot 3 and its now not working correctly.

Somebody will have to look at your logs. @mdgm-ntgr maybe.

Message 2 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I used to have one of those NAS units a while ago.  I had 4 3TB WD Red drives in it. I started with 2 myself which puts it into a Raid 1 format.  Which means everything put 1 one hard drive is also copied over the the second hard drive.  When you put in a 3rd hard drive, I put in a 3rd 3TB HDD that matched the first 2, it changes over to a RAID 5 format.  So that if any 1 HDD fails, the data is still on the other 2 drives.  When you pop in a new HDD, it takes HOURS or longer depending on the drive size for the NAS to do it's thing and make it part of the overall system.  When I was getting full again, I popped in a 4th drive and it took hours again to incorporate that new HDD.   I didn't have any problems.  

Since then I upgraded to a ReadyNAS 516 which can hold 6 HDD.  So those Orignal 4 HDD from my old NAS are in this newer NAS and were the first 4 I installed.  I have a couple HDD dating back to 2013 in it and are just fine and error free.  So just over 4 years old now.  I then added a couple 3TB Seagate NAS drives for the other 3 spots.  I'm also full. I do have have a brand new 3TB Seagate drive around here someplace for a spare.  It takes a long time for the HDD to become part of the system. Even then, you have to realize how much space you really have.  Starting with the 2 1 gig HDD in Raid 1.  You end up with 922 Gig's of space on your NAS, when you throw on a 3TB HDD, it only goes to 1.8 TB. When you add that 4th HDD, space jumps up to 4.51TB.   Some people think something might be wrong and pull the HDD and screw things up.    It's those 1TB drives that kind of screw you over.  I have the same problem if I want to jump up to say a 6TB HDD to double my space.  The 3TB drives I have kind of bring me down.  Remember if say 1 3TB fails, there's only the other 1 3TB drive and the 2 1TB drives in your system.  The NAS has to be able to restore the Data no matter if a smaller or a larger HDD fails.

A NAS is also not a Backup solution.  For myself, I have a couple Seagate 8TB Archive HDD.    So I backup all the Data on my NAS to those 2 drive. These drives are really only good for backup because of the way they store data on them.  But they're resonably priced. With my 6 3TB drives, I have 13.62TB of storage space.  So 2 of these are enough to backup my NAS with room to spare.  You can get one of these Seagate 8TB Expansion drives which plugs in at USB3 for cheaper then the same bare 8TB Archive drive!!!  Which is what I ended up doing and assumed was inside it.  I was right when I opened it up. I didn't want the external case and the interface.  Not for my needs.  I have HDD docks where I can plug in a bare drive.  When done, I pop them into a plastic HDD case and pop those drive into my Fire Resistant Safe.  So I now only have a real backup, but it's pretty safe from Theft if someone breaks into my house or if I have a fire.  I shouldn't lose all my Data.  So I got this Seatgate 8TB drive from Amazon.  I'm looking right now andit's even cheaper now at $179.99.  It's the Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEB8000100).  They have smaller sizes. 5TB is $119.99.  That single drive should backup what you have now.  If you get the 8TB one, would backup if you swapped out those 1TB drives later for 3TB ones.

By the way, $219.98 for the bare 8TB hard drive!!!  So you save $40 and get a external case with a USB3 controller and power supply.  It's the exact SAME 8TB Archive HDD.      So a NAS is not a Backup.  If you're backing up your computer to the NAS, then it is a backup to the Data on your computer.  But if you have other stuff on that NAS and it's no where else.  That's not a backup solution.  How about if you have some type of issue, like you do NOW.  How about for whatever reason the batch of HD you got were not good and 2HDD failed at once, or 1 failed and during the rebuilding of your NAS for that new HDD, another HDD fails. You've lost all you data!!!  How about of the NAS just fails hardware wise for whatever reason.  how about if you get Robbed?  How about if you have a fire?  There is so many things that can go long and the more Data you have on your NAS, the more Data you could lose.

Hopefully Netgear will be able to help you by looking in your Logs of what the issue is and can fix you up.  They are generally pretty good in doing that for people.  They've been a great help for me here.  The NV+ V2 which I had was a slow, poky NAS.  But it was a good starter NAS back when I got it.  

Message 3 of 12
Untamedgeek
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies.

I understnad what your saying JBDragon1 and that how I saw it but not how I though it would happen based on the documentaion I had ready. So that's fine I'll have to do a factory reset and set up the 3TB. (still need to find out why config is now on slot3 and not slot 1).

What I don't understand now is why the back is failing everytime. I left it running again last night, whatched it for about 35mins fine, only for it to fail later on. 

I'll have another hunt around on the net today

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running on the NAS?

Message 5 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I don't think it matters what drive config is on?  What do you mean back is failing?   I know that's a older NAS and no longer getting newer firmware updates,  I also know I've used the same 3TB WD Red drives in mine when I owned it and it worked great.   It's also going to take hours and hours to setup a new HDD into the system.

Do you have a Backup of all your Data?  If so you may just want to do a complete factory reset on it and wipe the drives and just let it rebuild the system from scratch.  Start fresh!!!  It's acting strange.

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Getting the firmware version is very relevant, since a 4.1.x NAS can't handle 3 TB drives.

So please do post back with that.

Message 7 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Well Ya, that would really be a old version of the firmware.  I would hope he wasn't runnning that old firmware, but the newest version available, 5.3.4.  Even I had never run with such a old version on mine since I started with 3TB HDD on mine back in the day and didn't have any issues with the drives.  The same 3TB WD Red drives.  That was back early 2013.   Clearly if you're running 4.x.x anything, it was time to upgrade long ago. Here is the link to get the last and latest version of the firmware.  

https://kb.netgear.com/29782/RAIDiator-5-3-4-ARM?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Hey, let us know if you're running a older firmware and what version.  That's always helpful of course.  This link is for the NAS you listed to start with, the NV+ v2 which has a ARM processor.  The Orignal NV+ had the Sparc processor. The newest firmware for that is 4.1.14.

Message 8 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

Well Ya, that would really be a old version of the firmware.  

No.  It'd be a v1 instead of a v2.  4.1.15 is current for the v1.

Many v1 owners think they have a v2, because the labeling on the back label is confusing.   One simple way to confirm the platform is to get the firmware version.  There's more information on that here: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Plus it is often useful to get the firmware version, even when the OP identifies the platform correctly.

Message 10 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I have heard some people have confused V1 with V2.  Man, V1 is really a old NAS.

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

It was the entry level NAS until the V2 products were launched in Nov 2011.

The V2s were replaced in 2013 with OS-6 - so I suspect even today there are more V1 NAS in service than V2.

Let's find out what the OP has though, and then focus on getting the problem sorted out.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements