× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New NAS (Copy config and data old to new)

bob_m10
Aspirant

New NAS (Copy config and data old to new)

Hi

I recently purchased a new ReadyNas 314 to replace my current 314 to allow for more disk space.  I would like to swap the units and use the current until as a backup. Do these steps make sense?

1. Update both units to the latest BIOS.
  2. Download the configuration from the current unit and restore to the new unit
  3. Be careful to use different IP address and name before I put them onto the same LAN
  4. Copy the data from the current unit to the net unit?

Thanks,  Bob

Model: RN31441E|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: New NAS (Copy config and data old to new)

Don't assume that restoring the configuration will restore all the settings - so I suggest at least checking the critial settings manually.  Volume maintenance is one that I know isn't restored.

Also, if you have apps installed on the existing NAS, install them on the new one before you restore the config.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Don't assume that restoring the configuration will restore all the settings - so I suggest at least checking the critial settings manually.  Volume maintenance is one that I know isn't restored.

Also, if you have apps installed on the existing NAS, install them on the new one before you restore the config.

Message 2 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

I know that I may be different than others, but I usually rather start with a clean nas and reconfigure everything as needed instead of trying to import a config that you have to go back through and double check everything anyway.

BTW, the easiest thing to do would simply move your old disks to the new nas, if you want to keep everything exactly intact.

Then you can configure the old nas with a clean install and use as a backup or whatever purpose you wanted.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@TeknoJnky wrote:

I know that I may be different than others, but I usually rather start with a clean nas and reconfigure everything as needed instead of trying to import a config that you have to go back through and double check everything anyway.

I generally do that also.  

I think that if you have a lot of users then the import is needed.  But I don't.

Message 4 of 8
bob_m10
Aspirant

I have a simple setup with 2 shares so I am fine reconfiguring,  The one problem is all the passwords for about 20 users which I don;t have.   Perhaps I only import the usernames?  Seems like that is a possibility?  Bob

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@bob_m10 wrote:

Perhaps I only import the usernames?  Seems like that is a possibility?  Bob

That works, or you just upload the config file, and then review the settings.

Sometimes I've made screen snapshots first, just in case I forget how it was set up.  Though the config files are readable.

Message 6 of 8
bob_m10
Aspirant

When you say "Config file" is that differnt from what the GUI will save when you ask it to download the configuration?  Thanks  

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Yes.  It's a zip file actually, with quite a few text configuration files inside the zip. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements