× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New to readyNAS and have a question for a customer

atlasmike
Aspirant

New to readyNAS and have a question for a customer

Hi all.  Hope all is well everyone.  I had a customer call me about their READYNAS NV+  It wasn't working.  It was off and would not turn on. I assume it is a bad power supply and it was caked with dust.  So I get back to my lab and take the back off and plug in a power supply after blowing it out and it powers up.  The screen on the bottom goes through a boot sequence as I would expect.  After it seems to quit booting it says on the screen it says ''Booting......" and under that it says "found bad drive"  None of the lights on top indicate that any of the drives are on.  The LEDs are off except the ACT LED flashes once and the the power light flashes from solid to three flashes and then back to solid (blue). Is there evena way to buy a new power supply for this thing, if not, is the data recoverable? Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@atlasmike wrote:

... Is there even way to buy a new power supply for this thing,

Yes.  The place to start is netgear support.  Warranty is 5 years, and even if it has expired they might be able to sell you one.  There are some third-party suppliers as well (though they are getting hard to find).  What geography are you in?

It is also possible to adapt a standard ATX supply to be compatible with the NAS (there is a pinout document here: http://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf).  The supply likely won't fit in the chassis, but it will work ok.

if not, is the data recoverable? Thanks in advance. 

The answer here is also yes.  If the disks are intact, the raid array can be mounted in a standard x86 linux system.  There is a guide here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306

Netgear also offers a recovery service (and migration assistance if you buy a new ReadyNAS).  Contact them via support.netgear.com for details.

Message 2 of 4
atlasmike
Aspirant

I am in Florida.  I think that the best thing to do is to do is for them to buy a new NAS and have the data migrated.  Plus with the readyNAS saying it detects a bad drive, and it being out of warranty, a new one would be better and more reliable.  I am sure I can find a tech around me that can migrated the data for me.  I have a Linux machine here in my lab.  So to acess the data with it I just follow the steps as given here

The answer here is also yes.  If the disks are intact, the raid array can be mounted in a standard x86 linux system.  There is a guide here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306

I just connect via USB to USB and run the

(1) sudo su
(2) apt-get install fuseext2
(3) apt-get install lvm2
(4) modprobe fuse
(5) vgscan
(6) vgchange -ay c
(7) fuseext2 -o ro -o sync_read /dev/c/c /mnt

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru