× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Non-admin User Login Without Internet

TerryJColes
Luminary

Non-admin User Login Without Internet

Hi,

Is it possible for a non-admin user to login to the ReadyNAS via the local network instead of via the Internet?  I only got my ReadyNAS yesterday and have been able to create two non-admin users, but haven't found out how they can login without knowing the admin password.

I can get to their user space by:

1. Logging in as admin at http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/index.html#page=access and then browsing to the home folders.
  2. Typing <ReadyNAS IP Address>/admin at the browser bar and browsing to the home folders.

However, typing <ReadyNAS IP Address>/Username doesn't work.

I assume that their is a way, otherwise it makes a mockery of security.  Also, I assume that my users could create a ReadyCloud Account of their own, but that necessitates Internet access and the use of unecessary broadband bandwidth.

Model: RN212D23|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Non-admin User Login Without Internet

Normally local users will access their data using Windows File Explorer (or Finder if they have a Mac).

In the case of Windows, it's best to enter their NAS credentials into the Windows Credential Manager (easily googled for instructions).  You can enter credentials for the NAS IP address and/or it's hostname.

With Windows, they would then enter \\nas-name or \\nas-ip-address into the file explorer address bar - using the real name or ip address of course.  The slash direction matters for this!.  Alternatively, you can create desktop shortcuts and add network locations in file explorer that reach specific shares. 

In the case of ReadyCloud, they normally use the ReadyCloud app on their PC or mobile device, and enter their log in information there.

Message 2 of 4
TerryJColes
Luminary

@StephenBwrote:

Normally local users will access their data using Windows File Explorer (or Finder if they have a Mac).

In the case of Windows, it's best to enter their NAS credentials into the Windows Credential Manager (easily googled for instructions).  You can enter credentials for the NAS IP address and/or it's hostname.

With Windows, they would then enter \\nas-name or \\nas-ip-address into the file explorer address bar - using the real name or ip address of course.  The slash direction matters for this!.  Alternatively, you can create desktop shortcuts and add network locations in file explorer that reach specific shares. 

In the case of ReadyCloud, they normally use the ReadyCloud app on their PC or mobile device, and enter their log in information there.

Just to clarify; they cannot get access to the Shares via the browser, only using  Windows Explorer.  (We have done this for my son and so know that it works.)  I'm presuming the ReadyCloud App will require Internet access.

My previous experience with NAS Boxes (a Netgear Stora and a D-Link Sharecenter) led me to expect that ordinary users would also be able to login through the browser by using the IP Address on the local network.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@TerryJColes wrote:

Just to clarify; they cannot get access to the Shares via the browser, only using  Windows Explorer.  (We have done this for my son and so know that it works.)  I'm presuming the ReadyCloud App will require Internet access.

if http/https access is enabled for a share, then local users can also reach it by entering http(s)://nas-ip-address/sharename 

It is possible to enable this remotely (configuring a secondary HTTP port in the NAS, and forwarding that port in the router).  I don't recommend that though, since that does create some security risks.  ReadyCloud or a VPN (openVPN, ZeroTier) would be much better.

ReadyCloud does require internet access, since the user authentication is done by the ReadyCloud internet servers.  If you are local, the data transfers should stay local though.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements