× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PS3 Compatibility

harold_257
Follower

PS3 Compatibility

I am looking at getting the ReadyNAS 102 and stream the video files that i will have stored on the HDD's directly to my PS3. The reason for this is that I want to do away with the media server on my computer and stream them directly to the PS3. I know I may need to change the file format of some of my media for it to be compatible with the PS3. Would I be able to do this, or will I need to run a media server on my computer as I have now?
Message 1 of 3
Muppo
Aspirant

Re: PS3 Compatibility

Streaming of *.avi and *.mp4 is no problem, but *mkv isnt supported by the PS3, so I still run PS3 mediaserver on one pc and have all the mediafiles on the NAS.
Right now I´m exploring the PlexMediaserver plugin to the NAS, but I dont think the NAS has enough CPU power to stream *.mkv.
The NAS presents it self in the PS3 right away if u activate DLNA in setting so its quite easy to setup.

Theres a thread somewhere on this forum about the PS3 mediaserver and if it works to install on the NAS.

One idea could be to buy a real mediaplayer (like Dune HD) then U could stream everything directly from the NAS regardless of the format.
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/
Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: PS3 Compatibility

The RN102 can stream MKV as long is it doesn't have to transcode the media.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements