× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please help me connect with my newly inherited readynas duo

joso89
Follower

Please help me connect with my newly inherited readynas duo

Hello, 

I recently inherited a readynas duo (do not know the exact model) and it is filled with family photos. I have no idea how to even begin to connect to it and have noone I can ask. If you can help me, I would be most greatful. In your answer assume I am computer stupid, but a quick study. While I would like it to work, what I really want is simply access to the pictures, the rest (as in being able to access it again in the future etc) is a perk, but not a necessity. Please help!

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Please help me connect with my newly inherited readynas duo

Hi @joso89

Welcome to the Community!

Provided that your Duo is in workng condition, accessing it is as easy as connecting it your Network through your Router. Then to make it easy you can install RAIDar to discover your NAS and get it's IP Address. Here is a reference that may help you with after connecting the NAS to your network.

The IP Address is what you will use to access your NAS. Your NAS has share folders where your files are located, once you have accessed the NAS those shares will show up. You will usually use a Windows computer attached to your Network as well. Click here for a reference.

You can also use the IP address to access the admin page using your Web browser and do some configurations. It will ask for the username and password.

The default username would be admin and password is netgear1 if your Duo is a v1 or password if it's a v2

You can actually determine if it's a v1 or a v2. You can check this guide on how to do that.

Once you have access to your files we always encourage users to backup their data to make sure it is secured in any case of NAS failure. 

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

You say you "inherited" it.  With or without password.  If it has a lot of data on it, I'm guessing the password won't be the default.  You can get around that with an OS re-install (not to be confused with a factory reset that destroys all data).  How you do that depends on which model Duo you have.  So follow @Marc_V's instructions for determining that first.  It can be confusing, so do check out the preferred methods.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

f it has a lot of data on it, I'm guessing the password won't be the default. 

Often windows file explorer can access the files w/o a password, so try that first.  The default configuration allows anyone to access the files, and uses the password to limit access to the web admin UI.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements