× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please make additional btrfs options available

xsnrg
Aspirant

Please make additional btrfs options available

Greetings,

The noatime option has already been requested, it is a good one, but in addition, I would like to be able to set attribute +C on a new share at creation time.

I am running into the issue of extents building up on a file due to it being constantly accessed, and performance degrading greatly.

Request 1:

Make a checkbox option at share creation time (btrfs sub) that sets the attribute C on a newly created sub. Warn the user of the affects it has around snapshots/recovery (around CoW), but also recommend it be used with files that are accessed often, such as VM images. Allow a user to turn it on any time, but warn them that turning it on will not affect any files already existing in the share (sub). At this point, a user would have to copy the file to a new name, delete the original, and rename it for it to pick up the new attribute.

Request 2:

Do NOT turn on snapshots/continuous backup by default for new shares (subs). This is also a big performance problem on filesystems that change often. Compounded with fragmented files, this simply kills IO on the system.

Request 3:

Offer the ability to run btrfs filesystem defrag as a maintenance option. It has to be specified what files or scripted to be recursive for all files in a share (sub). This reduces the extents down to something more sane, and when combined with the 2 above, should improve performance on shares with lots of file access.
Message 1 of 2
de_niro
Guide

Re: Please make additional btrfs options available

Hello xsnrg
your feature requests have been moved to the development for evaluation,I will update this topic if I get the response of them,thank you so much!
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements