× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please open source RAIDiator

bajorgensen
Aspirant

Please open source RAIDiator

Hi all.

I wish Netgear would open source RAIDiator and let the community take part and help getting the platform moved to a more uptodate distro.
Etch has been almost 2 years without security updates...
Maybe we can rebase of a newer Debian, some other NAS focused distro, or even FreeNAS.
If we get the toold to build and flash images, I am sure some very nice things will come of it...
Message 1 of 8
chirpa
Luminary

Re: Please open source RAIDiator

Sparc needs un-encrypted flash support to open it, and keep it alive, since NTGR EOL'd it.

For x86 units like Ultra, can already replace RAIDiator with other OSes. The 2/4 bays are a bit trickier to get into, but the 6 bay is very easy to customize. For testing, you can put something like FreeNAS on a USB stick, then boot while holding the Backup button in, it will boot off the USB stick instead. The NIC and SATA ports are standard drivers for most OSes, but things like thermal control would need tweaking a bit. What I've done is go into the BIOS (via serial port or VGA) and set thermal to be BIOS controlled, not manual, then put anything else on it. I've ran Windows on a Pro, and NexentaStor (the basis of ReadyDATA).
Message 2 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

chirpa wrote:
For testing, you can put something like FreeNAS on a USB stick, then boot while holding the Backup button in, it will boot off the USB stick instead.

nice tip

The NIC and SATA ports are standard drivers for most OSes, but things like thermal control would need tweaking a bit. What I've done is go into the BIOS (via serial port or VGA) and set thermal to be BIOS controlled, not manual, then put anything else on it. I've ran Windows on a Pro, and NexentaStor (the basis of ReadyDATA).

a more detailed howto would pretty welcome I would imagine 🙂

in any case, you've given me something to try with my readynas's if/when I pickup a newer device
Message 3 of 8
ahpsi1
Tutor

As far as encryption on the Sparc's this page -> http://debugmo.de/2007/07/running-own-code-on-the-infrant-readynas/ documents a way to disable encryption on an NV (if I'm understanding what I'm reading).
Message 4 of 8
chirpa
Luminary

Somewhat, but not permanent. Would be nice for a 4.1.11 firmware that opens it up, to allow third-party firmware. This has already been communicated to management there a few months back, with backing from third-party developers to pick up the slack.
Message 5 of 8
bajorgensen
Aspirant

Bump! Netgear, if you want to have a slightest chance to retain costumer, this is what you need to do!
Message 6 of 8
tarkeen
Aspirant

Agrees. Open source 4.2.23 to please
Message 7 of 8
WSJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Would be nice for a 4.1.11 firmware that opens it up, to allow third-party firmware. This has already been communicated to management there a few months back, with backing from third-party developers to pick up the slack.

I'd appreciate this very much. It would set the right signal, showing responsibility (by not leaving the customer unsupported).
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements