× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please port forked-daapd to ReadyNAS to replace Firefly

jelockwood1
Guide

Currently like all other NAS boxes, the ReadyNAs uses the obsolete Firefly (aka. mt-daapd) code. This still works (just) as a very basic music sharing server to iTunes clients, but does not support newer features like Apple Remote, Apple TV, AirPlay, etc. etc. features. Firefly (and the mt-daapd code it is based on) are effectively dead products and no longer supported by the original authors.

However there is a new equivalent also free priece of software called forked-daapd which does support all these new feautres.

Allgededly forked-daapd has been successfully ported to the Qnap NAS see http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=37472 I am sure NetGear would not want to be considered inferior to Qnap Information about the forked-daapd project can be found at http://www.technologeek.org/projects/daapd/index.html and http://blog.technologeek.org/category/h ... rked-daapd and code at http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=use ... -daapd.git

Note: I would have no problems with NetGear only adding support for forked-daapd to x86 based ReadyNAS units if that makes it more practical to achieve.

I am aware that implementing forked-daapd as-is would require updating libraries like libc on the ReadyNAS but that would be no bad thing to do anyway. Again I would point out that someone has ported forked-daapd to the Qnap which normally has the same libc issue.

UPDATE:
As many people posting support for this feature request will know, iTunes 10.5 is no longer able to work with FireFly. This makes the need for Firefly to be replaced by forked-daap even more urgent. Currently the QNAP being able to run forked-daap is the only NAS that has a solution. Time for action NetGear I think.
Message 1 of 48
grimloch
Aspirant

Re: Please port forked-daapd to ReadyNAS to replace Firefly

+1

Been waiting for this for quite some time.
Message 2 of 48
grimloch
Aspirant

Bump for my birthday. This would be a great present!
Message 3 of 48
dsm1212
Apprentice

+1
Message 4 of 48
grimloch
Aspirant

ME GRIMLOCK WANT FORKED-DAAPD ON READYNAS!
Message 5 of 48
par9
Aspirant

I want it too. Or some other iTunes server that works moving forward....
Message 6 of 48
k0nan
Aspirant

+1

upgrade to forked-daapd please!

come on, QNAP has it and Netgear doesn't .. please BE above QNAP !
Message 7 of 48
dsm1212
Apprentice

Much more urgent now that itunes 10.5 is no longer compatible with Firefly. Really shouldn't claim product compatibility anymore as it is right now.
Message 8 of 48
dmccombe15
Aspirant

+1
Message 9 of 48
Krowten
Aspirant

+1
Message 10 of 48
htrimble55
Aspirant

+1
ITunes 10.5 fix is needed
Message 11 of 48
oneclick
Aspirant

+1

Netgear to fix this asap.
Message 12 of 48
michelm_de
Aspirant

+1
ITunes 10.5 fix is needed
Message 13 of 48
justinlang
Aspirant

+1
Update necessary
Message 14 of 48
Maarten_NL
Aspirant

+1

A working Itunes-server would be nice.
Message 15 of 48
grimloch
Aspirant

Re: Re: Please port forked-daapd to ReadyNAS to replace Fire

Maarten_NL wrote:
+1

A working Itunes-server would be nice.

Working and modern!
Message 16 of 48
nsne
Virtuoso

+1

Now that my desktop's mothballed, I have no way to listen to my iTunes library via my satellite computers without this.
Message 17 of 48
stiankd
Aspirant

+1

I want my music back!
Message 18 of 48
briany2000
Aspirant

+1

Please update the firmware. I am much more likely to continue buying everything Netgear (routers, switches, NAS, for friends and family as well) if the company proves that spending $1K (at the time) for my Duo with 1T of storage would be rewarded with continued support.

Do the right thing and I will continue to buy Netgear products.
Message 19 of 48
JarnoG
Guide

Personally I prefer to use iTunes, but since I can't for now, I'm using Firefly Client. It lacks most options iTunes has, but at least I can play my music with it.

It hasn't been updated in quite some time, so don't expect to much from it

Oh and +1 to a iTunes server that works with iTunes 10.5
Message 20 of 48
yoh-dah
Guide

For those experiencing incompatibility with iTunes 1.0.5, we've released an add-on to this here.
Message 21 of 48
jelockwood1
Guide

yoh-dah wrote:
For those experiencing incompatibility with iTunes 1.0.5, we've released an add-on to this here.

...These are not the robots^H^H^H^H^H^H addons you are looking for...
:wink:

When the addons you refer to are re-released it will once more allow Firefly to limp along a bit longer, but really Firefly is well past its sell by date and needs replacing as per this threads feature request.
Message 22 of 48
beman
Aspirant

Just bought an Ultra 4, and found it all simple and easy to setup and instructed friends to check them out. That is until I started the itunes server and subsequently found this thread. A fix is needed.

This forum has many great posts but it would be made all the better by some transparency from Netgear Tech Support on this matter. I empathize that the soultion may not be straight forward but some type clarification would be great.
Message 23 of 48
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An update fix for Firefly was released today on the same page yoh-dah linked to above. It works for me on both x86 and Sparc. If you installed an older version of the update and if as a result the new version doesn't work for you try my suggestion here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=328221#p328221

Firefly is good and works. As for whether NetGear ports forked-daapd in the future we'll have to wait and see. However the more people that express interest the more likely they are to port it.
Message 24 of 48
dsm1212
Apprentice

Thanks for fixing iTunes netgear! I'd still like to see us move to forked-daapd to get my atv2 working and other improved features. Another approach though would be to focus on the user mode stuff like libc that the community can't update. If you get those up to date then many addons like this one will be easy for the user community to do on our own.
Message 25 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements