× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please port forked-daapd to ReadyNAS to replace Firefly

grimloch
Aspirant

Re: Please port forked-daapd to ReadyNAS to replace Firefly

Please port forked-daapd. PLEASE
Message 26 of 48
AlansWright
Aspirant

Found and downloaded - Thanks for fixing 🙂
Message 27 of 48
AlansWright
Aspirant

Spoke to soon. Doesn't seem to work. 😞 Havefollowed the instructions earlier in thread to reinstall firmware and reapply the 1.03 update, but still no luck. I'm using the simple DAAP client for iPhones. It connects, but then seems to crash. The log file is full of "Broken Pipe" errors, eg:

2011-12-09 22:20:31 (01a48003): Error writing to client socket: Broken pipe
2011-12-09 22:20:31 (01a48003): Error writing to client socket: Broken pipe
Message 28 of 48
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try this:
1. Remove Firefly
2. Do OS/firmware re-install
3. Install http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/3.01/CleanITunesConfig_0.1.bin
4. Install the 1.0.3 update again
Message 29 of 48
grimloch
Aspirant

Q2 2012 bump to be cool like qnap. Forked-daapd would make my readynas perfect.
Message 30 of 48
mkeesmaat
Aspirant

Still waiting for forked-daapd add-on ?????
Please please please

Now I have to power the PC on to listen to my itunes library on my NAS, silly!
Message 31 of 48
grimloch
Aspirant

Maybe a member of the Jedi council could comment as to the possibility whether this will ever happen. If it's a definite no please tell us so there's no need to keep wondering.
Message 32 of 48
eton
Luminary

Bump!
forked-daapd to ReadyNas now, no time to waste.
Message 33 of 48
grimloch
Aspirant

Whocares told me recently that he's been working on it for months, but there are some major hurdles to overcome.

One of my airport expresses is not working so I'm going to replace it with an apple TV today. Looking forward to not having to turn on a PC to stream music from the NAS and control with my Android iTunes remote! Hopefully sooner than later.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Message 34 of 48
eton
Luminary

Please port forked-daapd to ReadyNAS to replace Firefly

grimloch wrote:
Whocares told me recently that he's been working on it for months...
That sounds very promising. Mr Whocares has made some great contributes to ReadyNas add-ons.
Message 35 of 48
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

+1

dsm1212 wrote:
Another approach though would be to focus on the user mode stuff like libc that the community can't update. If you get those up to date then many addons like this one will be easy for the user community to do on our own.

This is really the key. This libc issue has shown up in a number of other places as well. For example, the most up to date version of utorrent server also needs it. I don't understand all of the issues exactly related to libc, but it sounds like its a kernal level issue which requires the firmware to be updated. But I do think that if the kernal were updated somehow to support this, lik dsm said, other users could contribute a lot more easily.

By the way, someone mentioned the QNAP has had this libc issue in the past as well. I do see that the QNAP seems to have a lot more addons ported to it. Does anyone know how they dealt with the libc issue over there or why they have so many more addons ported?

Myself, I tried the itunes server on my readyNAS and basically it would not airplay to AppleTV and would not stream to my iphone's normal media player either. Honestly I don't even see the point of firefly unless you have a household full of people that play all their music through their itunes client on their computers and you want one central server for it. Maybe in college dorms. Firefly works for that. But that's about it. Most of the stuff people want to do is playing their itunes library through other devices like AppleTV, iphones, ipads, Roku, etc...none of which firefly helps with.
Message 36 of 48
jelockwood1
Guide

It looks like as of iTunes 10.6.3 compatibility with Firefly Server is broken yet again. This only serves to further support the need for NetGear to get of their ass and update their software to a) support libc, and then b) support porting forked-daapd to the ReadyNAS.

EDIT - correction, 4.2.21 firmware does work with iTunes 10.6.3, I was running 4.2.19 firmware which was supposed to include the patched version of Firefly but it did not work, after upgrading to 4.2.21 it is fine. I still think NetGear need to get forked-daapd ported.
Message 37 of 48
super_poussin
Virtuoso

done on arm readynas 🙂
Message 38 of 48
jelockwood1
Guide

super-poussin wrote:
done on arm readynas 🙂

Congratulations and many thanks for doing this this, I personally have x86 (Pro) models so I will have to wait until you have a version for those.
Message 39 of 48
grimloch
Aspirant

Is it available for download for arm? I also have a pro, but just curious..
Message 40 of 48
InTheShires
Tutor

super-poussin wrote:
done on arm readynas 🙂

Wow. That is good news for those ARM owners.

Last I recall, Stefan said it was looking like a task and a half, and might never be possible without some heavy tweaking. How does the ARM units deal with the problems Stefan encountered?

Can't find his post currently, but it should be searchable.
Message 41 of 48
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The OS on ARM is newer which should make it a bit easier

Stefan has made good progress recently on x86 and it should be possible provided a few issues are sorted out.
Message 42 of 48
dsm1212
Apprentice

Great news! Sounds promising.
Message 43 of 48
jmp909
Aspirant

hi. what's the status with the ARM version of forked-daapd? I was just looking at one of these http://www.dabs.com/products/netgear-readynas-nv--v2--4-bay----no-drives-included-7SLK.html , so presumably that would be suitable model? I've put forked-daapd on a virtual linux install (in VirtualBox) before and the iTunes "Remote" app pairing works well. Looking forward to getting this working on a NAS box and being able to breakaway from having to run iTunes on a pc.

thanks for any info
j
Message 44 of 48
super_poussin
Virtuoso

jmp909 wrote:
hi. what's the status with the ARM version of forked-daapd? I was just looking at one of these http://www.dabs.com/products/netgear-re ... -7SLK.html , so presumably that would be suitable model? I've put forked-daapd on a virtual linux install (in VirtualBox) before and the iTunes "Remote" app pairing works well. Looking forward to getting this working on a NAS box and being able to breakaway from having to run iTunes on a pc.

thanks for any info
j

doable need to check stabiilty
Message 45 of 48
dsm1212
Apprentice

How is it coming super-poussin? Thanks!
Message 46 of 48
dsm1212
Apprentice

I guess this will never happen for x86 and 4.x. I'm not sure it's important enough for me to switch my config, but can someone tell me if forked-daapd is available on a PRO which has been hacked up to 6.x?

steve
Message 47 of 48
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, forked-daapd is used in ReadyNAS OS 6.
Message 48 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements