× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Presales: Incremental backup several Network drives to NAS at home

markcrobinson
Follower

Presales: Incremental backup several Network drives to NAS at home

I have about 8T of data on several network drives at my business. I want to set up an offsite backup system that does a "SYNC" type backup to a NAS at home. I've tried a few different models -- One did not let me sync network drives (mapped, for example, to drive Z: on the w/s where the sync software is not  running. Another didn't work because one of the network drives is on a Winsows 2012 Server. 

Basically, I want to duplicate what one of the common "Cloud Backup" systems does without using the cloud. 

What netgear product would do this?

In addition, it would be a plus is a portion of this system could be dedicated to a shared drop box that several users could access remotely. 

Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Presales: Incremental backup several Network drives to NAS at home

Hi @markcrobinson

Welcome to the Community!

Getting two ReadyNAS model or a  NAS to NAS Backup solution would be the best recommendation for the setup you have mentioned, more preferably a 4 bay or higher model OS 6 Unit (RN400, RN500, RN600)  this is to accommodate your current volume size and also allow for future expansion on both sites. Two units would result in a more manageable backup configuration and data management.

With regards to a backup solution, ReadyNAS OS 6 models pack a few of its own. 

RSYNC over SSH which is suitable for backing up over the Internet. Allowing a connection to enter on your Firewall/Router (Setting up rules) or setting up a VPN Connection can also help to achieve this.

ReadyCloud is another way of connecting remotely to your Home site, by installing the Desktop app on your Workstation you can sync your Share folders to your ReadyNAS remotely. You can also setup shares which users will be able to access remotely.

This types of backups will do incremental backups too.

Other backup solutions are also supported. Please see ReadyNAS Backup FAQ.

Community members would definitely have suggestions as well.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Presales: Incremental backup several Network drives to NAS at home

You can also use VPN technology to connect the NAS at home to your business network.  ZeroTier and OpenVPN are often used for this.   

This can be more complicated to set up, but it would give the remote NAS full access to the devices on your business network.  It is also easier to keep secure than using port forwarding (needed for rsync over ssh).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements