× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAID 6

Kadesh
Aspirant

RAID 6

Dear All,

We bought new NAS316 with 6TB HDD X 4 and I have configured intial settings, but when i look at volumes it by default it is configured to RAID 5 but I want RAID 6 to be configured.

and how do i check how many HDD's are configured as RAID 5 because total usable space I am getting is only 18 TB (I have 6TB X 4).

Please help me in this.

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAID 6

That's the expected capacity for RAID-5. With RAID-5 you'd subtract the capacity of one disk for redundancy so 5x4TB = 20TB, but like most PCs we use TiB (base 2) not TB (base 10). So 20TB = 20/1024^4*1000^4 = 18.19 TiB which rounded down to the nearest TiB is 18TiB. Like PCs tend to we refer to TiB as TB. A bit confusing that we use base 2 whereas disk manufacturers use base 10 but it's still the same amount of space. Allowing for overheads 18TB is what you'd expect using RAID-5.

To change to using RAID-6:

1. Go to System > Volumes

2. Disable X-RAID (click on X-RAID button and confirm you wish to disable it)

3. Destroy the default volume (note this wipes all the data, so be sure to backup your data first).
4. Create a volume called 'data' (no quotes) using all disks in RAID-6

5. Re-enable X-RAID.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

mdstat.log is telling you this. you can download the logs by going to the admin webpage. use system/logs and click on the download button. this will generate a zip-file on the harddisk of your workstation. mdstat.log is part of that.

Message 2 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's the expected capacity for RAID-5. With RAID-5 you'd subtract the capacity of one disk for redundancy so 5x4TB = 20TB, but like most PCs we use TiB (base 2) not TB (base 10). So 20TB = 20/1024^4*1000^4 = 18.19 TiB which rounded down to the nearest TiB is 18TiB. Like PCs tend to we refer to TiB as TB. A bit confusing that we use base 2 whereas disk manufacturers use base 10 but it's still the same amount of space. Allowing for overheads 18TB is what you'd expect using RAID-5.

To change to using RAID-6:

1. Go to System > Volumes

2. Disable X-RAID (click on X-RAID button and confirm you wish to disable it)

3. Destroy the default volume (note this wipes all the data, so be sure to backup your data first).
4. Create a volume called 'data' (no quotes) using all disks in RAID-6

5. Re-enable X-RAID.

Message 3 of 7
Kadesh
Aspirant

Sir,

Thanks for the reply,

I got HDD information but how do i make all the disks into RAID 6..??

Please revert 

Message 4 of 7
Kadesh
Aspirant

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the help,

I followed the the steps and I am succeeded but I am not happy with available storage as it is giving only 10 TB.

I am ok with RAID 5.

but thank you so much for the help.

Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

http://rdconfigurator.netgear.com/raid/index.html

gives a nice opportunity to compare available diskspace under different RAID levels

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

RAID-6 with 6x4TB should give you about 14TB not 10TB. Perhaps one of the disks was marked as a spare incorrectly or something. I would recommend using RAID-6.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements