× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

READYNAS Pro 6: What is a BLSNFO file?

MemphisT
Aspirant

READYNAS Pro 6: What is a BLSNFO file?

I'm a nooby to ReadyNAS storage. So my question may be simple to experienced people and appreciate the patients.  

What is a BLSNFO Files in a readynas folder? The NAS automatically makes this BLSNFO File after a file is copied onto the READYNAS Pro 6.

After looking at 90% of the folders, all those folders have a BLSNFO file in them, with the exception of TXT or Document Files.   All TXT or Document Files do not create a BLSNFO File to acompany them.

I Purchased a READYNAS Pro 6 two moths ago, I noticed the BLSNFO soon after copying my files and video files on to my new NAS. I have done a Google search with no results, there is nothing related to this topic anywhere.  

Can anyone shed light on this BLSNFO Files as below attached jpg?

BLSNO Files.jpg

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: READYNAS Pro 6: What is a BLSNFO file?

I don't think any of our services would create these. I think it must be some software on your PC.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 16

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which OS is on the client machine?

Which firmware is on the NAS?

Which protocol are you using e.g. SMB?

How are you copying the data onto the NAS?

Message 2 of 16
MemphisT
Aspirant

Which OS is on the client machine? Windows 10 /  I also use MAC OS X _ El Capitano (Mainly Windows 10 though)

Which firmware is on the NAS? 4.2.27 : ReadyNAS Pro 6

Which protocol are you using e.g. SMB?

Windows 10 uses the Microsoft SMB Protocol (SMB) Protocol, That is what I use

MAC OS X: I use smb through the server connect, Normally MAC OS X would use AFP (Apple Filing Protocol). This is the Apple's native file sharing protocol for mapping network drives, I never use that.

How are you copying the data onto the NAS?

I have a mapped network drive and use explorer to Cut and Paste. 

I was using Teracopy for a few weeks but it was buggy and not as quick as it cliams.  I removed it a few weeks ago.

Thank you 

Message 3 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is odd. I don't think I've seen a BLSNFO file before.

Message 4 of 16
MemphisT
Aspirant

I've never see this file niether, stranger still is that there is no results on google.

t's got to be some reference file for something.  Just not sure what. 

Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you running any add-ons?

Message 6 of 16
MemphisT
Aspirant

No, haven't had a change to look at them yet.

Message 7 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Perhaps the software you are using with these media files on your PC is creating them?

Message 8 of 16
MemphisT
Aspirant

I don't believe so, as I have a RaedyNAS Duo, which has not produced these BLSNFO files.  I also have an Xtreamer eTRAYz and a XtreamerPro mirrored with 4 TB in each and these BLSNFO files only appear on the READYNAS Pro 6.

I just opened one of the files and this is what is in the 1kb file. 

It's like a catalogue/bookmark thingy, Its like Batch tagging the movies, similar to an MP3 Tag. 

I do not have anything doing that, maybe the READYNAS Pro 6 has some built in catalogueing system. 

I went to the Admin page and looked in Add-Ons.  It says, "No add-on packages are currently installed." 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<movie>
    <scanstatus>2</scanstatus>
    <scankeywords></scankeywords>
    <title>Banshee.S01E01.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE.[VTV].mp4</title>
    <rating>0.000000</rating>
    <epbookmark>0.000000</epbookmark>
    <year>0</year>
    <top250>0</top250>
    <votes></votes>
    <outline></outline>
    <plot></plot>
    <tagline></tagline>
    <runtime></runtime>
    <fanart />
    <mpaa></mpaa>
    <playcount>0</playcount>
    <lastplayed></lastplayed>
    <id></id>
    <premiered></premiered>
    <status></status>
    <code></code>
    <aired></aired>
    <trailer></trailer>
</movie>

This is no big deal, I was just curious to what is causing these files to create.  I delete them and they auto-re-create themselves.  They are not taxing the system now, they might later depending on % I use of the 14TB with movies.  

Whilst in the Admin page i looked at some settings.  Under 'Performance Options' there is Enable disk write cache, Disable full data journaling and Enabled Optimized for OS X.  I'm uncertian if any of these are creating any tags.  Strange.

Message 9 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't think any of our services would create these. I think it must be some software on your PC.

Message 10 of 16
MemphisT
Aspirant

Okay then, thank you anyway... Strange file?

Message 11 of 16
SeniorD
Aspirant

What does NAS mean and do? It is part of my Model No. There was a version update shortly after purchase and when I typed my model # into a Net gear search it said, "not found."
Message 12 of 16
TeknoJnky
Hero

definately some kind of 3rd party cataloging file, they look similar to metadata files used by KODI, but I've never seen that file name though so no idea what program.

http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files

What media player are you using when playing from the nas?

I bet they are coming from one of your xstreamers, probably using some customized fork of xbmc/kodi.

Message 13 of 16
SeniorD
Aspirant

Too complicated for me to understand. Not at all a techie just a senior trying to figure things out. Thank you for commenting.
Message 14 of 16
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SeniorD,

There is no software or service on the ReadyNAS that may have created this file. There is a possibility that it might be something on the PC you are using to access the NAS that might be creating the file. It shows that the files were created mostly with video files there also a possibility that might be created with the device that created the video. We have not receive any concern that was raise regarding the file so I think the file is not that harmful to the NAS or the network. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

If I am reading @SeniorD's post correctly, his question is more basic - what is a NAS?

If that's still of interest, I recommend that you (@SeniorD) start a new thread on it.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements