× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN 214 randomly dropping connection then changing IP address

cs-john
Aspirant

RN 214 randomly dropping connection then changing IP address

I've been trying to get my fire tv boxes to tie into my Nas so I can use Kodi to maintain my library with little success. I couldn't find it in my workgroups when browsing smb. I was able to add it which worked great for a couple days then when trying to access it later, get the message "Lost connection". I deleted the link and tried to create another link without success. I noticed my IP address had randomly changed. I didn't think this should be an issue since I added my network connection using the path to my NAS and my login, not my IP. I am very green to this networking and searching the forums couldn't find anything related to my issue. So here are my questions.

1. Why isn't my NAS showing up in my "workgroups" on my Fire TV devices?

2. Why, when I add a network location, it drops connection?

3. Why is my NAS randomly changing it's IP address?

I installed and tried out PLEX. I was impressed at first and thought who needs Kodi until I actually accessed my movies. It is painfully slow and after playing with the GUI awhile, it doesn't have the ability to show the synopsis while scrolling or the ability to save my setup.

I guess seeing the synopsis "after" selecting the movie is ok if the access wasn't so slow but I would prefer to use Kodi. 

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN 214 randomly dropping connection then changing IP address

@cs-john wrote:

I have the Nighthawk R7000. I've looked around in both the basic and advanced tabs and cannot find anything relating to "address reservation". 

It's there. See page 124 in the user manual ( http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf ). 

@cs-john wrote:

Only using one network connection on my NAS but would love to use both when I understand what I'm doing. Do you have any idea why my NAS isn't visible on my Fire Devices?

No - I don't own a Fire Device (and don't use Kodi either).  But after you get the address reserved, you might look at step 5 here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources#Adding_Remote_sources

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@cs-john wrote:

3. Why is my NAS randomly changing it's IP address?

Your NAS gets it's IP address from your router.  Go into your router's admin screen - there usually is a way to reserve an IP address for a device.  In Netgear routers this feature is called "address reservation".  It has other names, including "arp binding" and "mac binding".

It sounds like this is related to the dropped connections, but it isn't clear to me if the changed address is a symptom or a cause.  If there is an issue with the ethernet connection between your NAS and the router, this could result in both dropped connections and getting new assignements for IP addresses.

Are you using both ethernet connections on your NAS, or only one?  If you are using two, you should disconnect one for now. 

I suggest also making sure the ethernet cable is firmly connected on both ends.  If the tabs that click into place are broken, you should try a new cable.  You could also try using a different LAN port in your router (or ethernet switch).

Message 2 of 4
cs-john
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply Stephen!  I have the Nighthawk R7000. I've looked around in both the basic and advanced tabs and cannot find anything relating to "address reservation".  I can see all the IP addresses in the attached devices.  I noticed I have the ability to change my IP to static on my NAS via Network settings. Is that an option?

All my switches are Gxxx Netgear and I'm running all new CAT6 cables with new connectors. Only using one network connection on my NAS but would love to use both when I understand what I'm doing. Do you have any idea why my NAS isn't visible on my Fire Devices? Thanks for your expertise.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@cs-john wrote:

I have the Nighthawk R7000. I've looked around in both the basic and advanced tabs and cannot find anything relating to "address reservation". 

It's there. See page 124 in the user manual ( http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf ). 

@cs-john wrote:

Only using one network connection on my NAS but would love to use both when I understand what I'm doing. Do you have any idea why my NAS isn't visible on my Fire Devices?

No - I don't own a Fire Device (and don't use Kodi either).  But after you get the address reserved, you might look at step 5 here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources#Adding_Remote_sources

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements