× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 TFTP_REQ

yycjohn
Aspirant

RN102 TFTP_REQ

Hi,

I've been running my RN102 for a few years with no trouble. It prompted me for a FW update to 6.8.0 so I said ok.  Now the unit appears to be stuck in boot and when I run RAIDar the status says TFTP_REQ. I tried doing the USB update with no luck (tried 3 different USB Sticks).  I have a backup of the data so I have no problem with doing a complete wipe but everything I have tried so far takes me back to TFTP_REQ.

Thoughts?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102 TFTP_REQ

Looks like the internal flash in this unit may be failing.

I created a smaller filesystem on the internal flash and it looks like this was successful. Please confirm.

Your system has been rebooted back to normal mode.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello yycjohn,

It does appear that you were on the process of upgrading the firmware however encountered a problem. Please try to download the firmware update and install it via https://ip.address.of.nas/fwbroker and let us see if that will work. If that will not work the concern might require assistance from the engineers and/or higher tier who can remote in to the NAS and fix this from the backend. Unfortunately, It shows on your records that the support warranty of your product is already expired. You may try contacting support center and avail a support contract. That should allow you to extend the support for your product so they can escalate your issue to L3 or patiently wait for anyone in the community who has the knowledge in the SSH commands and fixing some issues from the backend. Or we can proceed with the last option to proceed with the factory reset and reconfigure the NAS from scratch.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello yycjohn,,

If https://ip.address.of.nas/fwbroker will not work, the concern may require assistance from the engineers and/or higher tier who can remote in to the NAS and fix this from the backend.

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You might also try disconnecting all your USB devices (including the UPS) and then boot.

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did these suggestions resolve the problem?

If not you could try booting off USB into a special tech support mode. I can provide instructions on how to do that.

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like the internal flash in this unit may be failing.

I created a smaller filesystem on the internal flash and it looks like this was successful. Please confirm.

Your system has been rebooted back to normal mode.
Message 6 of 8
yycjohn
Aspirant

That looks like it worked, Thank you.

To prevent this from happening again (if the internal flash is failing) I was wondering if you could answer a couple questions?

If the internal flash fails completely what will that effect?

Does the unit use the internal flash for anything other than reinstalling the OS?

If I keep it on this firmware (6.9.3)(no updates) will that help?

Thanks

John

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The internal flash is also used for the early part of the boot process before handing things over to the disks. Without it the NAS won’t boot. The boot menu options use the internal flash.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements