× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 to RN212 or RN422 - or newer? Can disks still be moved from RN102 to newest version?

moveover1
Follower

RN102 to RN212 or RN422 - or newer? Can disks still be moved from RN102 to newest version?

Hi, 

I've upgrade to ORBI for home.  Performance of RN102 is definitely slow for more modern streaming applications.  Threads about moving from RN102 to RN212 are circa 2015.  Assuming I should migrate my current drives to a new drive, is there a "best" move?  I see that as of Dec-2017 the choice seems to be RN422.  Is there any issue going from RN102 to RN422 - i.e. skipping RN212?

Overall, until recently, my two RN102 NAS has been great for PC backups and file storage.  My home network speed is way up - as is my ISP download (>100 Mbps) - although upload is still <-6 Mbps (Charter/Spectrum).  Reliability still remains an issue - just FYI - for those threads that suggest home users also use Cloud services.  (I use four different Cloud storage. I would like to start integrating it with my NAS for.)

Lastly, what is the current recommendation - go with HDD - or seek out SSD - for use in dual drive systems?  I've only needed to upgrade drives after failure once in over many years (forgot how many, but was year I was audited circa 2011.  I discovered data was corrupted (bit-rot?) for 2006-2009 tax records - sad story that, because it made my life very complex! That's when I bought my second RN102...).

Thanks for advice in advance! 

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102 to RN212 or RN422 - or newer? Can disks still be moved from RN102 to newest version?

Hi @moveover1

Welcome to the Community!

It is fine to upgrade from RN102 to RN422 or other OS6 NAS models. You just need to migrate every disk in the volume and on the same bay. You can check this article. Upgrading to RN422 or higher you will also notice a signifant increase in performance.

IMO, while using SSD as storage has it's pros depending on where you will use them they also have their limitations. You might want to read what has been discussed on this post. Also, SSDs still are not fully supported or compatible with the NAS and might pose issues when not used properly AND the SSD sizes are sill not in par with the available HDDs today. One use of using SSD is the Metadata Tiering.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN102 to RN212 or RN422 - or newer? Can disks still be moved from RN102 to newest version?

When moving from an ARM-based (100 or 200 series) NAS to an Intel one (300 series and up), it is best to uninstall apps before moving the drives and then re-install after the migration, as apps often come in separate ARM and Intel versions.  Other than that, it works fine.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

One use of using SSD is the Metadata Tiering.

Note that SSD Tiering can't really be done on a 2 bay model - you need at least 4 bays, and preferably more.  You want to run at least RAID-1 on the SSD tier, and at least RAID-1 on the mechanical disks.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements