× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104

Daveswift7
Aspirant

RN104

Have two times 1tb in plus a 4tb 3 drives in total 6tb in total nothing on them just put the 4tb in new gone through its set up but is only giving me available space of 1.8 tb surely this isnt correct?

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104

wrote:

Have two times 1tb in plus a 4tb 3 drives in total 6tb in total nothing on them just put the 4tb in new gone through its set up but is only giving me available space of 1.8 tb surely this isnt correct?

The capacity rule for single-redundancy XRAID (protection from 1 drive failure) is "sum the drives and subtract the largest).  That is optimal, there is no way to do better.

That rule works out to 2 TB in your configuration (6 TB - 4TB) - and the NAS displays in TiB.  2 TB is the same as 1.83 TiB.

Your particular drive configuration isn't very good for RAID - it simply can't use most of the space on your 4 TB drive, and still provide access to your files if the 4 TB drive fails.

One option is to get an additional 4 TB drive.  That would increase your volume to 6 TB (5.45 TiB).

You could also set it up again with just the 2x1TB drives installed.  That will give you a 1 TB RAID-1 volume with protection for failure.  Then change to flexraid, and create a second unprotected volume using jbod.  That will give you a 4 TB volume (5 TB total).  You'd put your most critical files on the 1 TB volume.

One possibility I don't recommend is to set it up again using RAID-0 as a single 6 TB volume.  That does give you the most space.  But if any single disk fails, all your data is lost.

Note that while RAID is a good thing, you still do need backups to keep your data safe. 

Message 2 of 9
Daveswift7
Aspirant

PUT IN ANOTHER 4TB MAKING 2X1TB & 2X4TB MAKING A TOTAL 10 SET UP IN RAID 0 STILL SAYING I ONLY HAVE 3.61 AVAILABLE WHY?

Message 3 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Daveswift7

Welcome to the Community!

Since you used Flex-RAID RAID 0 configuration the volume capacity is being limited bythe smallest disk (1TB) making it look like 1TBx4 with 3.63TiB Capacity and 5.46TiB Unused. But in Flex-RAID mode, you can utilize the leftover space on the 4TB disks you have (5.46TiB) by creating another volume. But with X-RAID RAID 5 configuration it will expand automatically to utilize the capacity of the 4TB disks.

We recommend using X-RAID to fully utilize and create redundancy.

Here is a KB about that

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I agree that XRAID is a better choice for most users.

Using RAID-0 to span multiple disks is very risky - if any disk fails, you lose all the data on all disks.  If you want to maximize space (and not have any RAID protection) then you are better off creating one volume for each disk - putting some shares on each.  Then only the data on the failed disk is lost.

When that happens, you 

• destroy the failed volume
  • insert a new disk, and recreate the volume on it.
  • reconfigure the shares that were on that volume
  • restore the data from your backup.

Message 5 of 9
Daveswift7
Aspirant

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO SET IT UP AS SEPERATE VOLUMES THEN PLEASE HAS THE VOLUME BUTTON DOES NOT SHOW

Message 6 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 7 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Daveswift7

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 8 of 9
Daveswift7
Aspirant

all volumes are coloured in blue & it will not let me select any to form a new volume as the link says i should be able to select a volume i am in flex raid bur can not highlight any of the four drives why?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements