× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN21200 setup volumes

DaveOKC
Aspirant

RN21200 setup volumes

I setup my RN21200, with two 4TB  drives, using ReadyCloud.   I have a few questions:

1.  From the instructions it appears that I need to set up one or more Volumes in order to set up shared folders.  However, when I view "Shares" from the Admin page it appears that several folders are already set up.  Do I need to do anything else at this point?

2.  When I view "System" from the Admin page it shows a picture of the RN212 with the two SATA 4 TB drives, both colored blue.  Underneath that it has a blue box with "RAID (RAID 1)" by it.  The button on the right side of the page that says "X-RAID" is grey.  When I click on it I am asked if I want to switch from Flex-raid to X-Raid.  Which should I select?  I just want the second drive to backup the first drive.

3.  On the same page I am unable to select "New Volume."  How would I encrypt the drives if I can't create a volume?  Considering that the Admin password can be reset by pressing a button on the back of the unit, why would I want to encrypt the drives.

Sorry if these questions are a little rudimentary, but I'm totally new to NAS, and the instructions are a little vague.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DaveOKC,

I have some questions to ask, please see them below:

• Does the volume of ReadyNAS already have files? Do you have backup of the files?
  • Is this your initial setup for the ReadyNAS? If so, are the disks you inserted used on other NAS that they already have files stored?
  • Does RAIDar detect the NAS? If so, what is the current RAID level and firmware version?

Please also post a screen capture of what you get from admin page > Volume.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
jak0lantash
Mentor

1. You can either use the default shares or delete them and create the ones you want.

2. Do you want the second drive to be a second volume so you can backup data from the first volume, or a mirror (RAID redundancy)?

3. You're enable to select "new volume" because you don't have any unused disk. Encryption is selectable when creating a volume. Resetting the admin password doesn't reset the encryption key, without the USB stick containing the encryption key, the volume can't be read at boot.

You can find more information about all this in the user manual:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

Message 3 of 8
DaveOKC
Aspirant

Sorry it took so long to get back with everybody but my admin login wouldn't work, even after resetting my password.  I did a OS reinstall and that didn't work  I finally did a factory default and was then able to get to my admin page.  Here are screen shots of what I have now.

i would like to set this up so the second drive is a backup of the first so that if one drive fails I won't lose my data.

I would also like to encrypt both drives--so how do I create a volume so that I can do that?

Thanks, in advance, for your help on this.

IMG_1221.JPG

1. IMG_1220.JPG
Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 4 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DaveOKC,

XRAID will automatically give mirror RAID, But since you would like volume encryption, you will have to switch to FlexRAID.

Click the 2 disks to select them and then click XRAID button, this will allow you to switch to FlexRAID and create a new volume. Select RAID 1, this is the mirror RAID. 

Configure the following settings:

• Name. Enter a name for the volume. The volume must not have the same name as a folder in the root folder system. The volume names homeapps, and job_ are reserved and cannot be used.

• Encryption. Select this check box to enable encryption on the volume. A key will be generated. If you lose your key, the data on the volume will be irrecoverable.

• USB to store key. If you enabled encryption, select a USB storage device from the drop-down list to store the generated key.

• Send key by Email. If you enabled encryption, select this check box to have the generated key sent to a email address associated with the admin account.

Regards,

Message 5 of 8
jak0lantash
Mentor

Also, and this is VERY important for you to understand, RAID is NOT a backup! It provides redundancy, which is a very different thing.

Message 6 of 8
DaveOKC
Aspirant

I tried to follow your instructions.

I was unable to click the two disks to select them.  The little green boxes at the bottom of each disk were already green.  I couldn't change either of them--I assumed they were already "checked."

I was able to click the button to switch to flexraid.

However I was unable to click the "create a new volume" button.  It was grey, and stayed grey.

Any other suggestions?

I noticed when I setup my NAS there were two options--one to use Readycloud, which I used, and another "advanced option--for setting it up on a home network.  That option said you could set up Readycloud later.

Should I try that?

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You cannot encrypt existing volumes, so you need do destory the exisitng volume before you can create a new (encrypted) one.  You will lose all your data when you do that.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements