× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 vs RN424 Questions

kmmcd
Aspirant

RN214 vs RN314 Questions

Greetings.

I have an old (in computer years) ReadyNas Duo and am looking to upgrade to something with greater storage capacity. At present, I am considering the RN214 and RN314. To that end, I have some questions, the answers for which I would be extremely grateful:

1) Is the RN314 still available? Most sites are either sold out or list it as discontinued.

2) Are there lists of recommended drives for these NAS'? Or, will any SATA drive work? (I am considering WD Red or Red Pro)

3) Can I operate initially with only 2 drives in RAID 1 and add more drives, and maybe change the RAID configuration later?

4) Netgear literature lists the RN214 maximum capacity differently depending on which literature I examine. Is the maximum 24TB or 32TB?

5) Can I configure and operate these units without using ReadyCloud? I really don't want it to have any outside network exposure. Also, do these units have a "frontview" type interface?

6) To utilize link aggregation, does my switch (GS116) need to support it as well, and does my router need to support it, and does my PC need to support it ... ?

7) Is there a version of RAIDar that doesn't require JAVA installation?

😎 Are there any reasons not to start out with two 8TB drives?

thanks

Keith

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@kmmcd wrote:

e) is it better to just plug the two new WD Red 6TB drives into the RN424, format them, create shares, etc., and then copy the old data from the Duo across the network to the new RN424 drives?

Yes.  That also allows you to use the Duo for backup.

Note that once the data is migrated, you can do a factory reset on the duo - changing it to flexraid, and creating two RAID-0 volumes (one for each disk). That gives you 4 TB of backup (though it isn't protected from drive failure).  I've done this with my own duo.

Using two volumes in the Duo does require you to manual balance storage (choosing which shares to place on which volume).  But a single RAID-0 volume will completely fail if either disk fails.  I've found balancing the storage isn't that difficult, and it's a lot more robust.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 19

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN214 vs RN314 Questions

1) The new model is the RN424. The RN420 series has 2-bay, 4-bay, 6-bay and 8-bay models, namely the RN422, RN424, RN426 and RN428 respectively.

2) Those two are good choices. Not all disks are compatible and some disks are more suited to different use cases than others. We do have a compatibility list

3) Using the default X-RAID with two disks it would use RAID-1 then change to RAID-5 when you add a 3rd disk.

4) Over time higher capacity disks have been released. Resellers tend not to update their pages with new datasheets. There are 10TB disks on the compatibility list so it should support a 40TB volume. Though that's before redundancy. Using RAID-5 with 4x10TB disks you'd get a volume capacity of about 27TiB.

5) ReadyCLOUD is optional. You don't have to use it. Some users use their NAS units on networks not connected to the internet. You can install the RAIDar discovery client on your Mac/PC but that's optional too. Your router should show the NAS in attached devices so you can find the I.P. by finding which I.P. has been assigned to the MAC address of a NIC in your NAS.

6) To use some modes such as LACP the switch/router your NAS is directly plugged into needs to support it and be configured to use it.

7) No.

😎 Starting off with two 8TB disks should be fine.

If your data is important to you and the NAS will be holding the primary copy of it you should factor into your budget how you'll backup your important data whether to the Duo or to another NAS or to a USB disk or some place else.

Message 2 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@kmmcd wrote:

6) To utilize link aggregation, does my switch (GS116) need to support it as well, and does my router need to support it, and does my PC need to support

Note that your GS116 doesn't support LACP, you'd need a managed switch for that.

Perhaps more importantly, link aggregation is only useful if you have a lot of users.  Each user is still limited by their single 1 gbps link anyway.  With LACP, if you have two users there's a 50-50 chance they will be sharing the same link to the NAS, so there's only a 50-50 chance of seeing any performance gain at all. For most home users, it's not worth the trouble.

You'll see a huge performance boost with either an RN214 or an RN424 over your Duo v1, even w/o link aggregation.

Message 3 of 19
kmmcd
Aspirant

Thanks all for the quick responses. I think that I've settled on the RN424. On my existing ReadyNAS (Duo), I have only manually backed it up; on the new NAS, I plan to avail myself of its automated backup capabilities. To that end, I have some questions:

1) I don't think that it will be practical to backup the entire NAS to a single connected USB3 drive. Does the NAS backup utility provide the ability to automatically backup only select folders from the NAS?

2) To migrate my data from the old NAS to the new one, is it possible to:

a) remove one of the two 2TB drives from the Dua and plug it into the RN424

b) plug the 2TB drive into the RN424

c) plug one new drive (e.g. WD Red 6TB) into the RN424 and watch it perform an automatic cross-copy?

d) remove the 2TB drive from the RN424 and insert the second WD Red 6TB into the RN424 and watch it again perform a cross-copy, or

e) is it better to just plug the two new WD Red 6TB drives into the RN424, format them, create shares, etc., and then copy the old data from the Duo across the network to the new RN424 drives?

Model: RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 4 of 19
TeknoJnky
Hero

E.

Note, if you planned to use the 2tb drives in the new nas, you will have to start with at least one 2tb drive.

If you start with bigger drives, you cannot add smaller drives afterwards.

I would recommend you simply leave your duo intact, setup your new device however you like, then use rsync to copy your data (do one share at a time) from the duo to the new one.

it is a bit time consuming, but that to me is the safest and most reliable method.

Once all data is up and running on your new device, you can reverse your backup jobs so that they pull from your new device over to the duo (424 primary, duo secondary/backup).

at some point, you will probably run out of space on the duo, you could either backup to a usb drive (probably fastest if connected to the 424), or you could reset the duo and setup 2 separate 2tb volumes. You would have double the space, but no redundancy for your backups.

Message 5 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@kmmcd wrote:

Yes.  That also allows you to use the Duo for backup.

Note that once the data is migrated, you can do a factory reset on the duo - changing it to flexraid, and creating two RAID-0 volumes (one for each disk). That gives you 4 TB of backup (though it isn't protected from drive failure).  I've done this with my own duo.

Using two volumes in the Duo does require you to manual balance storage (choosing which shares to place on which volume).  But a single RAID-0 volume will completely fail if either disk fails.  I've found balancing the storage isn't that difficult, and it's a lot more robust.

Message 6 of 19
kmmcd
Aspirant

The RN424 is on order. Now, on to drives. I will initially be populating the RN424 with two drives. Which is best? WD60EFRX (track record of several years), or larger, more expensive WD80EFRX (newer technology such as helium, larger cache, physically lighter and more quiet idle speed)?

Message 7 of 19
StephenB
Guru

I went with four WD60EFRX in my RN526x, and three WD80EFZX in the RN524x. 

Part of my reasoning was to keep at least one free spot in each NAS for expansion later.  I had two WD60EFRX already on hand, so that was another part of it.

Either disk is reasonable for you, since you will have two free slots either way.

Message 8 of 19
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

mgdm, does this mean the RN214 series are moving to EOL?

Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@aks wrote:

...does this mean the RN214 series are moving to EOL?

The RN21x???  Where did you get that idea?

I suspect the RN31x is being phased out in favor of the RN42x.  But I haven't heard anything from Netgear on that.

Message 10 of 19
TeknoJnky
Hero

netgear has so many different model numbers, which are segmented into various consumer/prosumer/business variations, its impossible to keep track of what goes EOL and when.

Of course this isn't a netgear specific problem, but one with nearly every manufacturer of technology goods.

Message 11 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@TeknoJnky wrote:

netgear has so many different model numbers, which are segmented into various consumer/prosumer/business variations, its impossible to keep track of what goes EOL and when.

Unfortunately Netgear no longer publishes a list.

Message 12 of 19
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@StephenB wrote:

@aks wrote:

...does this mean the RN214 series are moving to EOL?

The RN21x???  Where did you get that idea?

I suspect the RN31x is being phased out in favor of the RN42x.  But I haven't heard anything from Netgear on that.

For this reason:

@kmmcd wrote:
At present, I am considering the RN214 and RN314. To that end, I have some questions, the answers for which I would be extremely grateful:

mdgm replied:

1) The new model is the RN424. The RN420 series has 2-bay, 4-bay, 6-bay and 8-bay models, namely the RN422, RN424, RN426 and RN428 respectively.

I agree it could mean the RN42x replaces the RN31x, but I note the RN20x is now gone off sale, and, I still am the proud owner of the EOL'd soon after I purchased NV+ v2!

I do need to upgrade, I keep telling myself it will be fine, but I find reasons not to do it. Actually, I don't have a big reason to upgrade, the NV+ v2 works fine. Yes it's a bit slower than current models, yes it has the v5 software, but in the main it just works (for home use). My biggest concern is security patches which seem to have stopped. So, I don't want to buy a RN214 to find it is also EOL'd with short notice (again), that would simply be too annoying.

The RN42x are too expensive for my use case, the RN21x is just about ok when discounted, which means around £250 in UK. Currently they are back up to £300, so I'll be patient and wait again.

Message 13 of 19
bedlam1
Prodigy

Presumably it would only be the chassis which went EOL, OS 6 would still be supported as it is the current firmware for all current models
Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@aks wrote:

I agree it could mean the RN42x replaces the RN31x, but I note the RN20x is now gone off sale, and, I still am the proud owner of the EOL'd soon after I purchased NV+ v2!

OS 6 of course is fully supported, and EOL doesn't affect warranty.  So EOL on one of the OS6 platforms doesn't have the same impact as the V2 EOL did.  One of the benefits of the new OS6 strategy is that it is easier for Netgear to upgrade platforms.

Overall, the RN214 is a good choice.

Message 15 of 19
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's fine. Of course OS6 is used on several platforms, however these platforms have CPU chipset differences, yes ARM and Intel architecture are supported, but then again, NV+ v2 was ARM based yet it was dropped. I know the reasons stated, and I don't want to reopen that debate, but I will just say that once the chipset or particular unit falls out of favour with Netgear, they will drop support with a convenient justification (excuse).

I am prepared to accept the RN214 has a reasonable life ahead, so when the price drops back to around £250 I will buy one.

Message 16 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@aks wrote:

but I will just say that once the chipset or particular unit falls out of favour with Netgear, they will drop support

We will see what happens of course.

Overall, most of the challenges I am seeing with OS6 support are memory-related, and not chipset related.  Out-of-Memory issues on the RN100 series are on the rise.  I don't see a good solution there.

Message 17 of 19
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And that is simply a fact of progress, complexity increases and so does the need for more memory and/or more horsepower. It's an unfortunate fact that it effectively ends the platforms usefulness.

As I said, I am prepared to give the RN214 a go, afterall, I have been a (somewhat) loyal user for many years. Yes only a small home user, but loyal all the same... except one indiscretion to QNAP Smiley Embarassed!

Message 18 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@aks wrote:

And that is simply a fact of progress, complexity increases and so does the need for more memory and/or more horsepower.

Agreed. FWIW, here's the memory details:

RN10x: 512 MB

RN21x-RN42x: 2 GB

RN52x: 4 GB ECC

RN62x: 8 GB ECC

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements