× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN31200 ReadyNAS suddenly gone!

Gz023247
Aspirant

RN31200 ReadyNAS suddenly gone! #26436363

Hi everyone,

I will have had my RN31200 ReadyNAS (OS 6.2) 1 week tomorrow, and until this morning things seemed to be working great - especially for a newbie!! 

However, I have run into an issue with connection, of which after speaking with a chat agent was advised to return the product, which I would prefer not to do if there is a solution.

Basically, I powered down the unit earlier this morning to attach an external 2tb hard drive to the back of the unit to make use of the USB 2.0 connection. The drive was plugged into the front of the unit previously and I thought it would be best connected at the rear for speed purposes associated with Plex.

Anyhow, on reboot the NAS is no longer seen on my network or under divices on "ReadyCloud" or via RAIDar.

When booting up lights flash on the end of ethernet cable, indicating a connection, but then after 30-40 seconds go out. I was advised by a "chat" agent that the gigabit lan ports are not working and I should send the item back. Problem is, it came from Amazon and I have been spending painful hours transferring data from a WD 3tb cloud hard drive to the NAS unit and don't want to restart the whole process again if I can avoid it.

From those with experience, does it really sound as though the lan ports have suddenly given up the ghost after 6 days of use.....or possibly just something to do with set up that needs looking at to resolve the problem?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN31200 ReadyNAS suddenly gone!

@Gz023247 wrote:

ar.

When booting up lights flash on the end of ethernet cable, indicating a connection, but then after 30-40 seconds go out. I was advised by a "chat" agent that the gigabit lan ports are not working and I should send the item back.

When the lights go out, can you ping the NAS?  (on windows, run CMD and then type ping nasipaddress (using the real IP address of course).

@Gz023247 wrote:

Problem is, it came from Amazon and I have been spending painful hours transferring data from a WD 3tb cloud hard drive to the NAS unit and don't want to restart the whole process again if I can avoid it.

You can migrate the disks you have directly to the new unit.

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN31200 ReadyNAS suddenly gone! #26436363

If it won't boot into a low-level diagnostic mode even with no disks installed and the USB disk disconnected that would suggest a faulty chassis. I understand that support has already walked you through that.

Message 3 of 5
Gz023247
Aspirant

Item has been returned back to Amazon now with full refund received as it would seem the unit was faulty. Thanks for everyone's help.

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Support has reviewed your case and it seems you are probably running 6.4.1 not 6.2. This would suggest that you may have run into an issue that would have been resolved by USB Boot Recovery (note some USB keys are incompatible with USB Boot Recovery). That particular problem has been fixed in 6.4.2 (see Enhancement & Bug Fixes #17 in the Release Notes)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements