× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN316 6.0.8 will not execute /etc/init.d/-scripts on boot

jonasl
Aspirant

RN316 6.0.8 will not execute /etc/init.d/-scripts on boot

Hi all,
I am a long time user of the NVX model who just upgraded to the 316 running OS 6.0.8.
Since I really appreciate dnsmasq, and have been running it on the NVX for years, I thought I should install it on the 316 as well. Everyting works just fine except that I can't make the RN start dnsmasq on boot.

I have done the usual:

# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
# apt-get install dnsmasq

The correct init.d run level links seems to exist:

# ls -l /etc/rc*/*dnsmasq*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 19 23:15 /etc/rc0.d/K02dnsmasq -> ../init.d/dnsmasq
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 19 23:15 /etc/rc1.d/K02dnsmasq -> ../init.d/dnsmasq
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 21 20:22 /etc/rc2.d/S01dnsmasq -> ../init.d/dnsmasq
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 21 20:22 /etc/rc3.d/S01dnsmasq -> ../init.d/dnsmasq
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 21 20:22 /etc/rc4.d/S01dnsmasq -> ../init.d/dnsmasq
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 21 20:22 /etc/rc5.d/S01dnsmasq -> ../init.d/dnsmasq
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 19 23:15 /etc/rc6.d/K02dnsmasq -> ../init.d/dnsmasq

Running the the init script on the command line or "service" both works equally good:

#service dnsmasq start
#/etc/init.d/dnsmasq start

If anyone of you could give me some kind of hint where to look next, I would appreciate it a lot!

Thanks!
Jonas
Message 1 of 5
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Re: RN316 6.0.8 will not execute /etc/init.d/-scripts on boo

An example to help you

/lib/systemd/system/mysqld.service

[Unit]
Description=MySQL Server
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/mysqld start
ExecStop=/etc/rc.d/mysqld stop

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Message 2 of 5
jonasl
Aspirant

Super-poussin, thanks for sending me off in the right direction! And also for having an old Unix guy learn systemd basics.... :wink:

What was missing was trivial....

root@nas:~# systemctl enable dnsmasq

Sorry for asking this kind of trivial question, but nevertheless, I was greatly helped!

Thanks,
Jonas
Message 3 of 5
super_poussin
Virtuoso

You're welcome
Message 4 of 5
ozieboy
Aspirant

Hi Everyone,

Fist post. Fist of all, these forums are really great. I learnt a lot.
Sorry to revive this old post, but I am trying to setup softether VPN on my ready nas ultra 2. Its running OS 6.1.1 (also tried 6.0.8).
One of the requirements to setup "Softether VPN server " is to install "dsnsmasq". It installs fine but then the service fails to start with systemctl.
Do I also have to install "Network support "? Can someone point me to right direction, please?
Also, is there a way to have the third party add-ons installed like "Softether" to show up as an icon in the frontview ?

Regards,
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements