× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN628x / 6.9.4 / IPv6 issues

tojoe
Aspirant

RN628x / 6.9.4 / IPv6 issues

Hello,

just got my shiny new RN628X, installed the harddisks and latest OS updates and now it shows some really odd behaviour when configuring IPv6 on eth2 (first 10GE port).

I want to use static IPv6 addressing but after configuring everything and hitting save the nic status in the GUI still shows the old address (a /64) assigned via slac. Sometimes when entering the settings page again it shows the static settings I've configured, sometimes it shows the default settings.

After a reboot the unit seems to accept the static settings but it's using a weird prefix length of /55 instead of the configured /64. It still takes another /64 via slac so I dont really know where this weird prefix length comes from. It doesnt matter whatever I configure as prefix length though, it's always using some weird value. Accordingly IPv6 routing is utterly broken since we're using tons of /64's.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and tell me what I'm doing wrong? My old synology nas works just nicely in the same VLAN and shows now IPv6 issues at all, it's just old and slow...

Regards,

Thomas

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 3
tojoe
Aspirant

Re: RN628x / 6.9.4 / IPv6 issues

All right, found out how to fix this but it sounds like a bad joke to me having to do this on a $$$$ NAS. IMHO working networking is one of the basics I should expect of a NAS. Backed up the network config, found out how the NAS handles this. Looking at the configfile /var/lib/connman/ethernet_MAC_cable/settings via ssh I can see the line "IPv6.netmask_prefixlen=54" although the webinterface clearly shows 64 everywhere. Correcting this using connmanctl and then "config ethernet_MAC_cable --ipv6 manual whatever:1::1011 64 whatever:100:1::1" fixes this issue. So something between the webinterface<>real config seems to be amiss.

Message 2 of 3
steveoelliott
Luminary

Re: RN628x / 6.9.4 / IPv6 issues

I'd suggest raising a case with Netgearr (You get 90 days free support) so they can document this bug and have it remediated in later versions.

I do think the interfaces could do with more extensive testing.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements