× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready NAS 4220 terminal command to unset 'allow snapshot access' check box

Garet
Aspirant

Ready NAS 4220 terminal command to unset 'allow snapshot access' check box

I have a readynas 4220 acting as a fileserver, joined to a AD. Running Firmware 6.2.4

There is also a on-site file indexer running 24/7. It indexes 4 of the shares.

I have a junior administrator that will recover deleted files using the 'snapshot' feature.

The issue is the 'allow snapshot access' is left turned on by accident. This causes the file indexer to index all of the snapshots. This grows the index to 60+GB in size. It will grow so large it stops new files from being indexed. If it did not index the snapshots, the database will be around 4GB.

I would like a cron job to uncheck the 'allow snapshot' feature every night at 2AM.

I can't find a online resource that gives enough detail about the snapshot feature except how to delete the snapshots. I want to turn off access on a schedule and keep the snapshot running.

Garet

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Garet
Aspirant

Thanks for looking into that for me.

I thought there might be a terminal command for that.

Garet

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I am puzzled on the use case.  You want this cron job in order to guard against a mistake that might be made by a NAS administrator?

Message 2 of 9
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

There is no specific terminal command to turn off the snapshot access on a share since snapshot access, being enabled through the UI, is translated through the middleware. 

My recommendation is to teach the junior administrator best practice is to return the system back to how it was once making the change. Maybe they can confirm snapshot access is turned off when closing a ticket. 

Message 3 of 9
Garet
Aspirant

Thanks for looking into that for me.

I thought there might be a terminal command for that.

Garet

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@kohdee wrote:

My recommendation is to teach the junior administrator best practice is to return the system back to how it was once making the change. Maybe they can confirm snapshot access is turned off when closing a ticket. 

I agree.

Though there used to be a way to access the snapshots from the full Data volume (even with access turned off).  That seems to have disappeared.  It was handy sometimes (and perhaps this use case is one example).

So maybe post a suggestion in the "ideas for storage" section, saying there should be a way for admins to directly access the snapshot folders even if the setting isn't checked. 

Message 5 of 9
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

ReadyNAS doesn't support the ability to snapshot the whole data volume from front-end controls, so that shouldn't have been possible to snapshot or view an existing snapshot.  I wouldn't recommend taking a whole volume snapshot because of how easy it would be to fill up that volume with changes, then trying to recover from it could be a nightmare. 

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@kohdee wrote:

ReadyNAS doesn't support the ability to snapshot the whole data volume from front-end controls, so that shouldn't have been possible to snapshot or view an existing snapshot.  I wouldn't recommend taking a whole volume snapshot because of how easy it would be to fill up that volume with changes, then trying to recover from it could be a nightmare. 

I was not suggesting a whole volume snapshot.

Only that there should be a way for an admin to browse share snapshots easily even if  "access snapshots" is turned off, and maybe even delete specific files or folders in a snapshot..  

I was thinking doing that from \\nas\data only because I have a vague recollection that I was able to see the snapshots in a hidden folder there with some past release.  But I think there could be other ways.  For instance, create an override setting specifically for the admin account ("force snapshot access" or some such).  

Message 7 of 9
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Ah, if you connect to the ReadyNAS over SMB as 'admin' (local admin to the box), then you can view more things, like access to /data and /home.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@kohdee wrote:

Ah, if you connect to the ReadyNAS over SMB as 'admin' (local admin to the box), then you can view more things, like access to /data and /home.

Yes.  As well as .apps and .timemachine.  And I remember finding the snapshots in /data back in ancient times.  6.0.x????  Not sure.

Anyway, just a small suggestion that would be a nice-to-have sometimes.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements