× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 - Sharing Folders

jwgmorley
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 - Sharing Folders

Hello & apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I've have a folder I would like to share with a flatmate however I'm having issues carrying this out. I've logged in as admin, created a new folder and set the folder to allow this person access. In addition to this I have had them setup their own Netgear account plus installed the ReadyCloud app on their laptop. They've logged into the app however it's stating no devices have been registered. When I go through the discover option the Nas is showing so I'm a bit lost.

Admittedly I'm not sure if this is actually the easiest way to share however would be grateful for any assistance.

Thanks

Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
jwgmorley
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 102 - Sharing Folders

I've kinda sorted it.

On one part I think I was being silly trying to untick the DNLA option within the section that gives you 4 choices. All I needed to do was move the slider to off within the DNLA section which sorted this particular issues.

With regards to sharing folders. Because of what the DNLA issue threw up I've now made a folder I wish to share with DNLA protocol and put a shortcut of said folder onto the persons desktop. Seeing as they will be scanning docs which aren't really sensitive and just need to be saved then it doesn't matter if anyone can view these.

I've had my 102 for nearly 5 years now and I can't fault it however the folder sharing issue seems bizarre. I'm just glad that this isn't something that's critical to me.

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 28

All Replies
jwgmorley
Aspirant

I'm guessing the issue is because the NAS is registered to myself and cannot be registered to someone else? If this is the case what is the best way to share a folder/give someone access?

Thanks

Message 2 of 28
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jwgmorley,

How did you add them through ReadyCloud? This is done through the ReadyCloud portal. When you get to the admin page > Cloud > ReadyCloud, your own ReadyCloud account which has the admin rights to add or delete ReadyCloud users should show in the "signed in as" section. Under Accounts > Cloud Users, you should see your ReadyCloud account and the one that you have added. By the way, are you able to access the NAS' shares through ReadyCloud portal using your own ReadyCloud account?

If they are just connecting locally that they are in the same network where the NAS is, they can simply access the NAS via SMB. Have them enter \\ followed by the NAS IP (ex. \\192.168.5.5) in Windows explorer (not Windows Internet explorer browser).

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 3 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

Thank you for the response.

I added them on the server web portal in the users section. I've logged on via ReadyCloud portal just now and the only area I can see admin is when I select 'Manage' and it lists my server with 'admin' stated next to it. When I click on admin it then takes me out of ReadyCloud and into my server web portal, which is where I had already added the user.

Within the server portal I have also shared the particular folder in question adding their email address. They have confirmed and logged into to their RC account however when they log into the RC app on their pc they still get the message stating no devices registered.

I'm not at the stage that I'd be happy for them logging in via windows explorer however it looks like only admin can access via this way. We tried using her details however it wouldn't let her. I also only want to give access to 1 folder (read/write access) and wish to keep my other folders secure.

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 28
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jwgmorley,

Can you get to admin page please of the NAS using http://<NAS IP>/admin (ex. http://192.168.5.12/admin) then go to Account > Cloud users and check if their user account is listed? It should have name and email address which should list their email address on both.

As for accessing the share via Windows explorer, just mark the "Allow anonymous access" on the shares then reboot their computer.

Regards,

Message 5 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

Hi Jennc, Yes, when I go to that section of Cloud users she is listed along with my details. For both os us it lists our emails in both the email and name sections.

Message 6 of 28
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jwgmorley,

Did they already checked thier email, by the way? They are supposed to recieve an email with a link that they need to click. Please have them logout from ReadyCloud portal first then check their email, that should be the one that has been sent out when you invited them.

Regards,

Message 7 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

Hi Jennc, Yeah she clicked on the link which asked her to login when I originally set her up. I then logged in on RC after she had which is when I get the no device registered info. When I log her into the RC web portal it gives me the option to discover. If I were to hold the button for 6 secs and sync it would this cause me issues (should I not do it?)

I'll see her again tonight however I might try sending the invite again.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds like you created a local user for him and then separately had him create a ReadyCloud user.  That's two different users and one cannot have access to the personal folder of another.  This is one of the things about ReadyCloud I believe is seriously flawed, but you need to work around it or live with it.

Does he need remote access?  If not, forget about ReadyCloud and just have him access the NAS locally using the local account you created.  If he does, he can use ReadyCloud all the time once you have given access to him vioa ReadyCloud and use his ReadyCloud account home folder or you can create a special folder that is not a home folder and give both users access to that folder. 

Message 9 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for the response. They don't need access remotely and will be accessing it whilst at my home.

I'm a bit lost as what is the correct way for them to access it locally? I've tried different methods but been unable to access the folder at all.

I'd be happy setting up from scratch if need be.

I assumed accessing locally they'd use the IP address? Probably wrong however whenever I try accessing via the IP address it always asked for admin password and won't accept the users I've setup.

Thanks

Message 10 of 28
StephenB
Guru

From windows, the normal way is through the file manager.  Enter \\nas-name or \\nas-ip-address in the address bar and you should see the list of shared folders.  Then you can just click on it.

You do need to be careful on the slash direction, and of course use the real name or IP address instead of the placeholders.

From OSX, you use finder, entering smb://nas-name or smb://nas-ip-address.  Note the slash direction is different.

Android and iOS require you to have an app on the device.  Solid Explorer is a good one for Android.  GoodReader works for iOS.

Message 11 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

I think I'm getting somewhere. I did this and was able to get to the folder however when entering their details it said they didn't have access. I may well have typed the password incorrectly however now when I click on the folder it doesn't give me the option to enter the password and says 'windows cannot access xxx.xxx you do not have permission, contact network admin to request access 😞

I've selected another folder and this time entered my admin details however I get different dialogue with same result. Basically not accessible though does go onto say multiple conntections to a server by same user not allowed. I've logged off the other laptop however still saying it.

Message 12 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

Many Windows users do not realize that a Linux (and thus ReadyNAS) user name and password are both case sensitive.  The error you are getting without being asked for another password is probably because you told Windows to remember the (wrong) credentials and you need to clean them out of the credentials manager.  In the search box, type "cred" and you'll see it availablle.  Just delete any credentials assoiated with the NAS, then log out of Windows and back in.

Message 13 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

There are no saved credentails in either web or windows credentials. It's a brand new laptop (yesterday) and other than 2 pieces of software nothing has been installed.

Message 14 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@jwgmorley wrote:

Basically not accessible though does go onto say multiple conntections to a server by same user not allowed.

This is actually a windows error, it is telling you that you have another session open to the same server.

You can run CMD on the laptop, and then enter net use * /delete or you can of course reboot.

On the larger problem -

If IPv6 is enabled on the NAS, try disabling it.  It can get in the way sometimes, especially with Win10.

If the laptops are wifi connected, then make sure the network classification in windows is either "private", "home" or "work".

You then might need to run the windows credential manager, and enter a credential for the NAS.  Try entering two - one using the NAS ip address, and the other using it's name.

Message 15 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

Think I've opened a can of worms.

Selecting folder and then This PC, within Network Locations it shows the server (including the Netgear icon). I'm able to access a number of folders (not all) that are marked private within the admin shares. I've checked network and file access and the only access allowed for these is my email and admin. Not great.  

Message 16 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@jwgmorley wrote:

I'm able to access a number of folders (not all) that are marked private within the admin shares.

Are these shares, or are they folders in \home\admin?

What credentials are you using on the laptop?

Message 17 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

I'm logging into the server via the webpage and then selecting shares from the admin page. Admittedly there was a number of folders in there that were marked 'everyone' however there are also folders marked myself and admin that are accessible via the way I mentioned. I've changed 1 folder from everyone to admin however despite refreshing everything and rebooting laptops I'm still able to access the folders on the new laptop via the way mentioned above.

The laptop is a new one and is basically going to be used by the person I want to give the folder access too. All they've (I've done) is logon to my wifi and they've been able to access my NAS folders by going into the way I mentioned above.

Message 18 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Since you use admin credentials when you log into the admin web page, you should be able to access everything.

So I am confused on what is wrong.

Message 19 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

Hi StephenB, I'm not logging into the admin webpage on the new laptop. One of the issues is that anyone with my wifi password seems to be able to select File Explorer - This PC & gain access to my NAS this way without being asked for any credentials.

My comment re logging into the admin portal was simply to point out that I could see the shares and the access priorities and could change them yet it wasn't having any impact to files marked everyone. Plus there were admin only files that were accessible as mentioned above without the need for credentials yet others weren't viewable.

Message 20 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

That's using ReadyDLNA which, unfortunately, has no password protection capability (it's inherent in the protocol, not netgear's choice).  Turn off DLNA on any shares you need to protect, or on the unit completely if you don't use it as a media device.

Message 21 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

Ah that would make sense. Thanks Sandshark.

Do photographs have to be DNLA? This is one folder/share which is DNLA and I've gone into the admin portal, selected DNLA and it has images ticked.

Edit: reason I asked was it's not letting me untick DNLA within the admin portal. When I click apply it's updating then the tick comes back. I've now tried this with another folder containing docs and it won't allow me to remove the DNLA tick either.

Message 22 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@jwgmorley wrote:

Do photographs have to be DNLA? This is one folder/share which is DNLA and I've gone into the admin portal, selected DNLA and it has images ticked.

No.  DLNA is optional.

@jwgmorley wrote:

Edit: reason I asked was it's not letting me untick DNLA within the admin portal. When I click apply it's updating then the tick comes back. I've now tried this with another folder containing docs and it won't allow me to remove the DNLA tick either.

That is very strange.  If you are ok with turning off DLNA altogether, you can disable in system->settings->services.  

Message 23 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

The kids films are on the server which, I'm guessing would mean they would no longer be able to access if I turned of DNLA? I have a wired network at home for this reason (kids being able to access their content).

I'll try adding another share/folder and make sure it's not DNLA from the off. I'll then move the items from the other folder in order to see if this gets round it.

Message 24 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@jwgmorley wrote:

The kids films are on the server which, I'm guessing would mean they would no longer be able to access if I turned of DNLA? I

Well, they might not be using DLNA now.  How do they watch the films?  

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements