× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 6.6.0 - Windows workstations can no longer access the SMB/CIFS shares

ThaDoctor72
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 6.6.0 - Windows workstations can no longer access the SMB/CIFS shares

After two years of smoothe operation, I can no longer access the NAS from ANY Windows workstation.

This includes:

Windows 7 Professional

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows Server 2008 R2

Windows 8.1 Professional

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 7 Enterprise

Windows Vista Home Premium

Things I have ALREADY done:

• Installed SMB Plus and locked SMB version to 2.1  (All other settings tried also)
  • Local Security Policy  - Changed to Send LM & NTLM, and disabled the need for signing
  • Local Security Policy - Restrict NTML Outgoing = Allow All
  • Added Registry key "EnableLinkedConnections" DWORD = 1 to system policy section
  • Manually downgraded the Windows SMB client to v1, and v2, neither of which have an affect.

I CAN access the share via a DOS command, when manually mapping the drives, and using command line.

net use s: \\server2\share
Command completed successfully
dir s:

I can see all the files in the share, but doing this through Windows explorer produces the error 

Windows can't access this disc

The disc might be corrupt. Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is unformatted, you need to format it before using it.

I stress again, that for two years this has worked as intended, but recently I updated to OS 6.6.0, which pretty much mucked everything up, that plus a Microsoft update probably.

I'm in the process of configuring a Windows Server box and moving all my documents over to it from the NAS.  What a figgin waste.

Model: RN10421D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 6.6.0 - Windows workstations can no longer access the SMB/CIFS shares

Very strange, since I am not seeing that from Win7 or Win10 with my RN102.  FWIW I haven't made any of the changes you made.

Did you consider using per-incident support?  Hopefully someone from Netgear will take a look.

Message 2 of 5
ThaDoctor72
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 104 6.6.0 - Windows workstations can no longer access the SMB/CIFS shares

I can't even get that far, but that's probably because the person who registered this device is no longer here, so we can't get into the account.

Message 3 of 5
ThaDoctor72
Aspirant

Update:

As it turns out, the root partition was full of junk files (that all began with SORT_) that it could not write or issue tokens, or even make the semaphore files necessary to make a connection.  

I had to buy a support contract just to get that figured out, but now all the shares are operating normally.

Apparently all that stuff was dormant, and the upgrade to 6.6.0 triggered the need for the extra space or something.  Either way, all versions of Windows can now access the shares.  Leave it to me to be the "OMG HTF DID THAT HAPPEN" customer.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@ThaDoctor72 wrote:

I had to buy a support contract just to get that figured out, but now all the shares are operating normally.

I'm glad its sorted, though I get the annoyance.

You might want to enable ssh, so you can poke around yourself if something bad happens again.  Netgear shouldn't deny support unless there is some evidence that your ssh use contributed to the problem.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements