× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 212 Migration

scottywatty
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 212 Migration

I cannot get the NetGear sales department to respond to me (Not a good sign) so I'm posting my question here hoping for some insight.

I am interested in the ReadyNAS 212 but have some questions about data transfer. I have been using a Synology device and my two 8TB drives are configured for their system but it has all my movies and music on them. Is there a way I can install in the ReadyNAS 212 and retain my data?

Model: RN212D23|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 212 Migration

@scottywatty wrote:

I have been using a Synology device ... Is there a way I can install in the ReadyNAS 212 and retain my data?

No (that won't work in either direction).  The operating system is installed on the hard drives in both cases, and both systems want control over the disk partitioning, filesystem organization, etc..  You'll need to restore the data from a backup.

One thing that will work: you can get new drives for the RN212, and then use ReadyNAS backup jobs to copy the data from the Synology.  You can then re-purpose the Synology as a backup NAS (running rsync backup jobs on the ReadyNAS to update the files on the Synology).  That is more expensive, but it gives you a backup strategy.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe (on any vendor's NAS), the only way to do that is to have a backup on another device (NAS, PC, USB hard drive, etc).

A variant is to start with one new drive for the ReadyNAS (perhaps larger than 8 TB).  Then you wouldn't have RAID protection on the ReadyNAS, but you would have a full backup and RAID redundancy on the Synology.  You could add a second drive to the ReadyNAS later on to bring it up to RAID-1 (when finances permit).

Another option (not recommended because it does have some data risk - but should work if the drives are healthy, and if the Synology is using RAID-1). 

You could power down, and remove one drive from the Synology.  Then boot it up, and confirm that your files remain accessible.  Then do a new system setup in the ReadyNAS using the removed drive.  Copy your data over the network from the synology (again, rsync backup jobs are recommended for this). 

Once the data is migrated, you can rebuild the Synology in jbod (to avoid having a degraded raid volume), and copy the data back over the network from the ReadyNAS.  You'd have no RAID redundancy on either system, but you would have a full backup on the Synology.  You could then add disks to both systems to get RAID redundancy on both systems later on (when finances permit).

Message 2 of 16
scottywatty
Aspirant

Thank you. A lot of what you said makes my head spin but I think you are saying since I have two drives from Synology, I could bring one of them up on the ReadyNAS 212 and then migrate the data from the other Synology drive onto the ReadyNAS? If I place the Synology Drive in bay 2 of the ReadNAS will it  be able to see the data to copy over?

Message 3 of 16
scottywatty
Aspirant

Hmmm. I just re-read and I think you are saying I boot the other drive in the Synology drive, Which is not possible because their system went down and they will not provide support, w hich is why I am leaving them. 

Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@scottywatty wrote:

Hmmm. I just re-read and I think you are saying I boot the other drive in the Synology drive, Which is not possible because their system went down and they will not provide support, w hich is why I am leaving them. 

I was assuming the Synology was functional.

Do you need to extract data from it?  With older ReadyNAS systems, R-linux for Windows can access the data,  I don't have any experience with Synology, but I suspect it might work there also.  You'd need to connect one of the disks to a Windows PC (using SATA or with a USB adapter/dock).  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/

Message 5 of 16
scottywatty
Aspirant

I don't know Linux but I installed that software and attached is a screenshot of what I see. I have the drive plugged in via a hard disk dock but I do not see it on the list. 

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Do you see it in the windows disk manager?  Also you should try the other disk too.

Message 7 of 16
scottywatty
Aspirant

I inserted the other drive and R-Liinux sees it. Not sure what I need to do now. 

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@scottywatty wrote:

I inserted the other drive and R-Liinux sees it. Not sure what I need to do now. 

If it "sees" the files, then you copy them.

You should be able copy them directly to the new NAS, though you can copy them to local storage if you prefer.

Message 9 of 16
scottywatty
Aspirant

I see, so my next step would be to purchase the ReadyNAS 212 (I've been waiting to confirm this will work) and then put on my network and them push files over?

Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@scottywatty wrote:

I see, so my next step would be to purchase the ReadyNAS 212 (I've been waiting to confirm this will work) and then put on my network and them push files over?

That would work.  Maybe try copying at least some of the files, so you are sure that they are intact.

Message 11 of 16
scottywatty
Aspirant

setback (see attached) 

or maybe i just dont know what I am doing in R-Linux. I selected the drive and clicked Open Drive Files.

Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Message 13 of 16
scottywatty
Aspirant

some small success. I ran a file recovery in R-Linux and it found a volume with folders. (see attached)  I'm not sure what to do next as I dont see my media in these folders. 

Message 14 of 16
scottywatty
Aspirant

here's another

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

You basically have to poke around until you can find stuff.  You could look in HarddiskVolume13.

Do you recall how your synology was configured?  I've been assuming that it was RAID-1 (redundant with a single 8 TB volume).

If it was set up as RAID-0 (a 16 TB volume), then you'd need some other tool that supports RAID, and those aren't free.  R-Studio (the paid version of what you are using) is one option.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements