× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 2304 - Volume Data is Syncing Cannot Set RAID 10

spanky762
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 2304 - Volume Data is Syncing Cannot Set RAID 10

OK, first things first, the Model I selected for this post is incorrect.  I could not select the ReadyNAS 2304 Diskless - which is what I have.

Scenario: BRAND NEW ReadyNAS 2304, installed 4 NEW 4TB WD Red SATA Drives.  Turned on machine and connected with RAIDar.  

NAS is set as X-RAID with RAID 5.  I don't want that, I want RAID 10.  So I clicked the X-RAID button and answered the "Are you sure you want to disable X-RAID prompt".  That was 7 hours ago.  

I can't add a new RAID 10 Volume because the darn thing is "Resyncing".  (Currently at 53%) 

Allow me to reiterate - these were 4 BRAND NEW Drives.  There is ZERO data on them.  

Anybody have any idea about:

1. WHY is this even a thing?  I should be able to set my base RAID initially and just have it be done.
  2. Is there any way to abort this resync thing without trashing my drives?
  3. Is this normal, or am I missing some critically important step?

Thanks,

-Devin. 

Model: ReadyNAS RNRX4000|ReadyNAS 2100 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 2304 - Volume Data is Syncing Cannot Set RAID 10

1. After disabling X-RAID you can destroy the default volume and create the one you want.

2. You can destroy the default volume. Destroying a volume will wipe all the data on it.

3. This is normal. The disks have to be synced sector by sector to setup the RAID and the RAID is at a lower level than the filesystem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. After disabling X-RAID you can destroy the default volume and create the one you want.

2. You can destroy the default volume. Destroying a volume will wipe all the data on it.

3. This is normal. The disks have to be synced sector by sector to setup the RAID and the RAID is at a lower level than the filesystem.

Message 2 of 5
spanky762
Aspirant

Thanks for such a quick response!

So, just to be sure I understand correctly, I need to wait for the resync to complete, and then once it is completed I can destroy the RAID-5 and create the RAID-10?

Message 3 of 5
spanky762
Aspirant

WOOHOO!   I found the "DESTROY" function!  

THANK YOU! 

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome. There's no need to wait for the sync to complete before destroying the volume.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements