× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 4200 Corrupt Root Error

mikegear
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 4200 Corrupt Root Error

I tried to connect the drive to PC but SeaTools can't find it. I guess the drive is bad.

I am getting new. will the following work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372052231506

It seems like the one on compatibility list excep that it says "HP". Does it means the drive has HP firmware? Will it still work?

Message 26 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@mikegear wrote:

It seems like the one on compatibility list excep that it says "HP". Does it means the drive has HP firmware? 

Its an OEM drive that was originally sold through HP.  That will affect Seagate's warranty coverage (and perhaps there will be no warranty at all).

Message 27 of 31
mikegear
Aspirant

I am fine with warranty aspect as long as this drive is compatible with readynas 3200.

Let me know if it compatible with 3200 as I'd like to order today.

Btw, I got the device exchanged and got one with label with serial number etc.

Message 28 of 31
StephenB
Guru

The ST1000NM0011 is on the compatibility list for the 3200.

Message 29 of 31
mikegear
Aspirant

Hi all - i got 2x 1TB new SATA drives and glad to inform that they are working well! Was able to create a new volume! With RAID1 I got a little less that 1GB availalbe capacity. Initial setup was with bay 1-2. Thank you one and all for your awesome help, truly appreciated!

After the setup was successful with 2 SATA drives, I reinserted the 5 SAS drives in bay 5-9, but again no luck. They aren't even recognized. Please advise if there is a way to use these SAS drives alongside the working SATA drives? Should I try factory default  etc.or something or change something in BIOS?

Another thing I tried to troubleshoot SAS, is to place one of the SATA drives in bay 11 (one of the bays that is supposed to support SAS), and SATA was recogized in that bay and worked fine. overall, it looks like SATA works in all bays. 

If there is a way to get SAS to work, I'd like to try. Or if you think it just eaiser to use only SATA drives please let me know.

thanks for your expert help!

Message 30 of 31
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds like Netgear may have disabled SAS in the BIOS.  I know it's acustom BIOS, because the NAS firmware won't boot on a stock SuperMicro motherboard (meaning replacement is not a viable option in the event of failure).

Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements