× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 516 Addon Chaos

traxinv
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 516 Addon Chaos

Hi I am looking for someone to help me understand this new genie marketplace thing?

When i look in the compatible apps there are about 6 which are all useless.

But when I SSH into the NAS and call

root@Media-Nas:~# curl http://www.readynas.com/packages/readynasos/dists/6.0.5/apps/binary-amd64/Packages.gz | zcat | grep Package:
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 11893 100 11893 0 0 15067 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 26253
Package: joomla
Package: tinyrss
Package: sabnzbd
Package: subversion-steveo
Package: subversion-ntgr
Package: drupal
Package: dokuwiki
Package: jenkins
Package: htop
Package: phpmyadminr6
Package: piwigo
Package: couchpotato2
Package: glpi
Package: phpr6
Package: subsonic
Package: owncloud
Package: owncloud
Package: ajaxplorer
Package: ajaxplorer4
Package: mysqlr6
Package: sample2
Package: sample1
Package: sample3
Package: sample2
Package: sample1
Package: plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries
Package: plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries
Package: vtigercrm
Package: sickbeard
Package: shellinabox
Package: btsync
Package: qbittorrentr6
Package: vpnserver[code][/code]
Package: transmission
Package: transmissionr6
Package: transmissionr6
Package: phpbb
Package: wordpress
Package: pythonr6

Specifically sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato do not show up at all. I managed to download them using

apt-get update; apt-get install *package name*

However getting them to startup with the system is proving impossible: Correct me if I am wrong but in the past all I needed to do was to add a virtual link to

/etc/rc2.d/S02*appname*
that point to
/etc/init.d/*appname*
where the startup script lies.

When the system reboots the apps do not start.

Now manually calling
/etc/init.d/*appname* start
gets the addon running perfectly.

any help?
Message 1 of 25
chirpa
Luminary

Re: ReadyNAS 516 Addon Chaos

After you install it, do 'touch /apps/*appname*/.localapp'. It will then show up in the GUI, where you can toggle it ON/OFF. Having it ON, should have it start on boot up. They use their own start scripts for that, not the inittab stuff.
Message 2 of 25
traxinv
Aspirant

Wonderfull thank you so much! Managed to get them into the GUI can not believe i struggled that much with it.

Our Readynas Pro broke down 2 days ago and Netgear's spectacular support department swapt it out for this unit. seriously impressed!

Just one last prob when I toggle the service to on i get this window:

I can leave it like that for about 10 min and nothing happens after a while it will prompt me to login to my marketplace account and the continue to load.

Am i missing something?
Message 3 of 25
m1sterd
Tutor

Firstly, I also get the same popup window as yourself, with a spinning wheel that will sit there for a long time, it doesnt happen all the time though, sometimes it does stop/start the application quickly, Plex is the one that seems to take a long time or actually stall at the popup.

I have also been having issues with the Genie market on my RN516, originally transmission appeared in the Genie store, now it doesn't, yet I have it installed from when it was previously/originally listed. As yet I have not installed anything via the command line as I am having issues so wanted to leave it as standard as possible, where does Netgear stand on supporting their products if for instance I installed one of the apps you mentioned above from the command line?

I have just installed the 6.0.6 update hoping it would fix the Genie app store available apps and the fact the Plex server only shows as running occasionally via the dashboard, yet always appears to actually be running. But it didn't appear to do anything for Genie.

UPDATE: I decided that as I was having a few issues that I couldnt resolve would do a full Factory Reset (at this point I dont have any data that cant easily be restored). Before doing a factory restore I decided to try the apt-get install method for several of the packages I was interested in, they appear to work however I still would like an official answer to the question "Will Netgear support still support a device if it has applications installed through apt-get as they dont appear in the Genie marketplace?".

I notice in the listing of the available packages it lists 2 for subversion:

Package: subversion-steveo
Package: subversion-ntgr

Any idea what the 2 are? I assume the first is the one in the app store, but hte second?
Message 4 of 25
traxinv
Aspirant

well they are hosted on the official netgear apt source. But i do not think any third party app is backed by Netgear?
Message 5 of 25
m1sterd
Tutor

Hi Super-Poussin, I have raised a ticket to Netgear regarding why some of your applications appear for the RN516 and yet others do not, however there seems to be some confusion as I keep getting told its up to the developer to say which NAS devices the application will run on and not Netgear.

My thought would be that Netgear have control of the platform and at this point they have taken a decision to have all the new devices running on the same OS (OS 6.0.6) with a potential differentiation between Arm and x86 and therefore it is up to Netgear to make sure that the API's etc. suitable for one are the same on all of them such that if I develop an application I only need to say it needs for instance OS 6.0.3 or greater.

When I first got my RN516 the Transmission application was available in the app store for it, I even installed it, however now when I go into the app store Transmission is no longer available, I realise that it can be installed using the command line apt-get, however has Netgear removed it for the RN516 because they have found issues and big differences between the RN 312/314/316 and the 516 such that it shouldn't be run? As I say, I have tried asking Netgear this question but I keep getting told its up to the developer what devices they support, so I was hoping you could help with this, I purchased the RN516 thinking that as its the most expensive model with the quick processor (great for Plex transcoding) and lots of RAM that it would support all of the genie applications made for the x86 devices.
Message 6 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

ReadyNAS 516 Addon Chaos

Addons should work ( all are ok I removed btsync which is buggy)

I'm waiting for my 516 to confirm, but addons are tested by Netgear , and only NETGEAR can set compatibility for a model on the store,that's not on my hand
Message 7 of 25
Shedding
Tutor

I've purchased some apps from the Genie store and not a single one is being installed (The nas says they are installed, but if you see in installed applications nothing shows up). Hopefully this gets fixed soon. Also, does anyone know if Sickbeard deb package will be available for readynas 516?
Message 8 of 25
Govnah
Aspirant

Shedding wrote:
I've purchased some apps from the Genie store and not a single one is being installed (The nas says they are installed, but if you see in installed applications nothing shows up). Hopefully this gets fixed soon. Also, does anyone know if Sickbeard deb package will be available for readynas 516?

Yes Sickbeard is available for the RN516. Just today I purchased Couchpotato and never installed via frontview. I had to SSH into the RN516 and do an apt-get install couchpotato2. Lastly, for good measure I did touch /apps/couchpotato2 /.localapp

The Apps for OS6 are a pita for sure!
Message 9 of 25
m1sterd
Tutor

Ok so I decided to install the OS 6.0.7 manually from the Netgear support site, now the NAS (well the Genie App store part) appears to have even more issues.

The only improvements that I have seen are:

1. The Apps -> Installed is now the default screen (rather than Apps -> Available)
2. Clicking on the "On" button to start the already running Plex server gives a message of "Plex media server failed to turn on" after only 10 seconds (rather than the infinite spinning wheel from 6.0.6)

The issues that seem to have been introduced (NOTE: I have not installed any Genie apps before or after the 6.0.7 update):

1. On the System -> Overview page under the Apps section I think it is displaying icons for every possible OS 6 app (note that as mentioned above, I have not actually installed any apps)
2. On the Apps -> Installed page it is listing every possible (I think) OS 6 app (apps such as VPN Server, subversion, joomla) as being installed, with all being set to off (I hove not tried turning any of them on in case it tries installing them like it did with the Plex server)
3. On the Apps -> Available page it only lists the apps that were originally displayed (i.e. ones compatible with the RN516) and not the ones listed in 2 above that are displayed on the Apps -> Installed page
4. Logging into genie.netgear.com and looking at the apps lists the same apps as displayed in 3 above and the installed apps shows none installed
5. If I ssh to the box and look in the /apps folder it does indeed list all the apps, on going into any of the directories it appears that the applications arent actually installed, just various config files)

I find this all very confusing and frustrating, is anyone else seeing this type of behavior on OS 6.0.7 devices or is this specific to the RN516?.

One other question, this doesnt seem ot be the correct place to post this sort of specific item, but I couldnt see an obvious OS 6 type forum section for Genie apps?
Message 10 of 25
Govnah
Aspirant

Same issue here with an additional issue. I can not access any of my installed apps while the Genie+Market place is running, all I receive is a spinning wheel and a blank page. However, if I disable Genie+Market place I am able access my installed apps under the Apps tab.

In addition I deleted all the apps under /apps that I do not have installed as I find this not desirable from my perspective. I have given up on Genie+Market place and manually install what I want, obviously not desirable for the non-technical crowd.
Message 11 of 25
m1sterd
Tutor

I have raised a support ticket (21234743) covering the Genie app store specifically for the RN516 (i.e. how and why some apps appear available for the RN516 and other dont yet are compatible with the RN312/314/316), I have updated the details to mention the new findings above.
Message 12 of 25
dishmagic66
Guide

It is not only the 516 wich has this problem. On the RN104 it is the same story. Now i have allready 3 days not seen the available apps.
The Genie marketplace site is allso giving problems with logging in and when logged in there is no available nas showing up. ip/CPProxy/ shows the hello words but still no go.
Since 6.0.7 There are a couple of pre installed apps with the .localapp file in the map. Those are showing up. The rest wich i installed earlyer from marketplace is not showing. I can not be that i have to touch the .localapp everytime i install something.

It really feels like a expensive pre-beta product with these kind of bugs. I had hoped for a realiable product, but that is still far a way since the operating system is buggy.

I bought this nas allso coz it had a printerserver and the netgear surveillance app, wich Netgear advertised with What surprises me to read later the there is no printerserver and that surveillance is only for the more expensive models.
Am i dissapointed? Yes you can certainly say that....

Hopefully it will get better soon with this nice peace of hardware with the buggy OS
Message 13 of 25
Shedding
Tutor

I am extremely disappointing at buying the NAS 516 for 1300+tax when I could've gotten a synology. I just got to see the GUI for the synology and it made me extremely jealous. I feel stupid buying this when the support is horrible, the apps don't work and the forums are dying and the slap in the face is that I paid almost twice as much as the synology. I really wish this readynas would work properly and I can at least use the apps I paid for.
Message 14 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NetGear is working hard to resolve the issues with addons and ReadyNAS OS.

There have already been some changes in 6.0.7 and one would expect more in 6.0.8.
Message 15 of 25
m1sterd
Tutor

On my RN516 the 6.0.8 firmware update has made a big difference to the addon's, there is now an Installed Apps tab, an Available Apps tab and a genie+ Marketplace tab, which appears to work as below:

Installed Apps : List all installed apps (on mine only Plex is showing as I currently have nothing else installed), it was initially showing the Plex as Off, but clicking On twice in a row and it stayed as On, I have not tried a reboot yet)

Available Apps : Seems to be all the free apps from the genie+ marketplace

genie+ Marketplace : Seems to be any paid apps on the genie+ marketplace

Before the update there were very few apps as showing as available on the RN516, now there are 9 on genie marketplace tab and 22 on the available tab, a big improvement from what I had seen in the previous firmwares, although I have not yet tried installing an app to know if that works as expected.
Message 16 of 25
m1sterd
Tutor

I have also noticed that now many of the apps that were listed as 312/314/316 are now available for the 516, has Netgear just changed their mind or is it a case of any app developed for an x86 ReadyNas running OS 6.0.x can run the app, as this just isn't clear.
Message 17 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Personally I can't see any reason why an app compiled for ReadyNAS OS for x86_64 would be likely to work on one x86_64 model but not another but it is possible as there are hardware differences. The 31x series has Atom CPUs and non-ECC RAM whereas the 516 has an Ivy Bridge i3 CPU and ECC RAM.

The add-on developers do aim to test their add-ons on all the different model ReadyNAS they have to ensure they are compatible. You can see from his profile that super-poussin has a 516.
Message 18 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

m1sterd wrote:
I have also noticed that now many of the apps that were listed as 312/314/316 are now available for the 516, has Netgear just changed their mind or is it a case of any app developed for an x86 ReadyNas running OS 6.0.x can run the app, as this just isn't clear.

it shoudl work on 516
Message 19 of 25
traxinv
Aspirant

I see ReadyNas extras are back online with all their apps. However they are charging a ridiculous amount, but is useful for the technological novice's out there.
Message 20 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I looked at their prices and they didn't look ridiculous to me. There is a lot of work required to develop add-ons making sure that add-on upgrades are smooth. Backporting software for the older devices can take a lot of work and compilation time can be very long. One error and several hours can be required to recompile.
Message 21 of 25
traxinv
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I looked at their prices and they didn't look ridiculous to me. There is a lot of work required to develop add-ons making sure that add-on upgrades are smooth. Backporting software for the older devices can take a lot of work and compilation time can be very long. One error and several hours can be required to recompile.

No fair as a once off fee i am with you. I really don't mind paying that. But in the past i always had to pay for every upgrade from them.
Message 22 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well each upgrade requires additional development work which can take a lot of time. Upgrades need to be tested and the add-on needs to be tested on a variety of systems.
Message 23 of 25
super_poussin
Virtuoso

please note that most addons do have a variable price so you can give what you want 🙂 or nothing 😞
Message 24 of 25
amadeus1756
Aspirant

Bonjour Super-poussin,

I've just gone to the Genie website - https://genie.netgear.com/UserProfile/#AppStorePlace: but I can't find your SVN for a ReadyNas 312. Is it available and if so, how do I get it? I have the opportunity to get a 312 for a good price but want to ensure the apps I need are available for it. Also looking for WebSVN.

Many thanks
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements