× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 516 Performance Data

brianm
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 516 Performance Data

Is there a data sheet showing the performance characteristics of the E516?
Message 1 of 34
brianm
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 516 Performance Data

Can someone from Netgear provide performance information?
Message 2 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Stay tuned. It shouldn't be too long before they release this information now.

The 516 won't be available in the US till next week. I'm sure there'll be keen to have the information available around then as many 516 buyers would have a need/desire for high performance.
Message 3 of 34
bajorgensen
Aspirant

Anything specific you are looking for Brian?
In terms of NAS performance you can be sure it will saturate a gigE interface, most likely both.
In regards to scalability, I am not so sure, but they are shipping SAMBA 4 so OS6 should be very good.
I would not think serving 50 client would be a problem...
Message 4 of 34
bajorgensen
Aspirant

There is also a slot (PCIe?) for 10gigE upgrade. I think the 516 will be a beast...
Message 5 of 34
brianm
Aspirant

Something along these lines would be a good start.

http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=2276#Performance
Message 6 of 34
bajorgensen
Aspirant

You can be safe to say it will be much faster than the 2100. It only has a 1 Ghz cpu.
Combined with new kernel and new Samba, the 516 will be MUCH faster.
Message 7 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 516 should be faster than the Pro 6 one would think: http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=5410
Message 8 of 34
TeknoJnky
Hero

with the right disks (or even ssd's) the original pro business could saturate a single gbit nic. Once you are upwards of consistent 100+mbs, you gotta look into bonded and/or 10gbit nics to get any higher.
Message 9 of 34
brianm
Aspirant

I do not doubt that the unit will exhibit a higher performance than the 2100 etc. All that I am asking for is a set of performance figures from Netgear. The link that I previously posted serves as an example of the sort of information that I am looking for. I would expect such information to be available at product launch rather than leaving potential purchasers to theorise.
Message 10 of 34
chirpa
Luminary

Jabba, when will this be available?
Message 11 of 34
JabbaTheHutt
Tutor

I thought this would be done by now. I have the raw data, but it was going through marketing to finalize an external viewable version. Before friday is my new estimate. I'll have throughput and NASPT benchmark...
Message 12 of 34
s4mb4
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNAS 516. I put 6 - 2TB WD Reds in it. The system automatically configured x-raid2.

transfering my data my ReadyNAS Pro Busisness to the new RN-516 using smbclient, i am getting well over 100 MB/s ..
however, i think it might be even faster if my netgear switch that connected the 2 devices had a faster back plane. (the switch is a NETGEAR ProSafe Plus GS105E)

druing the smbclient wget, RN-516 CPU usage is about 30%
the Pro Business is about 25% CPU usage.

the wget was run from the RN-516.
Message 13 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Gigabit Ethernet won't go much faster than 100 MB/s (1000/8 -> 125. And there is overhead of course).

The GS105E claims 10 gigabits bandwidth, which would make it non-blocking.
Message 14 of 34
s4mb4
Aspirant

yeah... it is what it is i guess. over all, i am very happy with my upgrade.
Message 15 of 34
StephenB
Guru

I like the new OS overall, but there are still bugs that need fixing. Having an expansion chassis is a nice option (though not available with my low-end RN102).

In my view, Genie and the general cloud stuff needs more work.
Message 16 of 34
s4mb4
Aspirant

NETGEAR really messed up bad with Genie.... i have it working, but it is really half baked.
i had once (about 2 years ago) had to RMA a netgear device. during the RMA process, i had to register. i used my prefered email address.

well, here comes Genie, i try to register with my prefered email address and the web page tells me "You cannot use that email address, it is already in use"....
of course, its not in use with Genie, its in use with Netgear support.... really, really dumb ihmo. so my genie is setup with a secondary email address that i hardly ever use.

readycloud i think is really cool and works great. that feature was one of the main reasons i upgraded. Netgear got that right. genie was a mistake.
Message 17 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Personally I want a single log-on for all these services, with an integrated portal of some sort. And of course, once offered, the services need to be consistently available with good performance.

The fragmentation with remote, readycloud, readydrop, genie, photos II, support, ... not to mention the router cloud - which has its own genies ... and vuezone ... is too complicated. This should be a platform, not just a collection of disparate services. Hopefully they will get it together, I think there is an opportunity for them to build a unique cloud offering centered on their routers and ReadyNAS.
Message 18 of 34
chirpa
Luminary

JabbaTheHutt wrote:
I thought this would be done by now. I have the raw data, but it was going through marketing to finalize an external viewable version. Before friday is my new estimate. I'll have throughput and NASPT benchmark...
Friday of last week, this week, or next week?
Message 19 of 34
m1sterd
Tutor

Hi,
Is there an update on the performance data for the RN516 yet?
Thanks
Message 20 of 34
m1sterd
Tutor

Well I ordered the RN516 diskless and it should be arriving today, however I find it disappointing that there is still no update on the performance of this new box and a complete lack of online reviews of the device.

I shall initially only be using the device with a single 2TB WD RED drive (as I am holding out on WD hopefully launching 4TB RED's later this year?) so I wont even be able to tell what the real performance will be when I am running in a multi disk RAID setup.

To make matters worse, I have just looked on the UK NetGear web site and they don't even show the new product, they still have the previous generation products (Ultra/Pro 6 etc.), what is going on? wasn't the product launched over a month a go?.
Message 21 of 34
chirpa
Luminary

Jabba, when will there be performance data?
Message 22 of 34
m1sterd
Tutor

Any udpates?
Message 23 of 34
chirpa
Luminary

Guess the performance data wasn't really prepared before launch.

'Buy this product, but we can't tell you how well it performs'

Would you go buy a car today that didn't have a MPG value stated? What if that Ford Focus turned out to have 8MPG...
Message 24 of 34
s4mb4
Aspirant

how well it performs (writes, reads, network, etc...) is not even relevant. the OS under it all, OS 6.0.4 is broken.
Netgear should spend their time updating OS 6 to a 'working' state and then worry about publishing data about performance.
Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements