× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ dead (again).

MikeG1
Follower

ReadyNAS NV+ dead (again).

Well, for the second time in 4 years, my ReadyNAS NV+ has turned its tits up.

The first time was when the PSU let the smoke out. Now it has partially failed but in a way that renders it useless - I can ping it but there's no access to the volumes from either windows or linux boxes and Radiator just hangs. I have tried various methods to reset/resurrect it but to no avail.

What is the g0%amn f%$cking point of having 4 1.5TB discs in a RAID config when the hardware containing them is useless?!!! I might as well have stuck all 4 in a PC - at least then I would have had some possibility of rescuing SOME data.

Does anyone have advice for getting the data off the disks? (and "Buy another bare ReadyNAS NV+" will not be well received)

It's no surprise that out of 5 wesites listing the "Best NAS devices" none of them feature Netgear products.

Rant over. I'll never touch another Netgear product with a bargepole.
Message 1 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ dead (again).

You haven't told us what you've tried, have you given up? If so then you might try this:
http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306
Message 2 of 5
Oxytocin
Aspirant

My experience with a ReadyNAS NV+ is quite similar. :evil:

It came with 2 Seagate Barracuda disks each 500 GB and it wasn't that cheap, that I would have expected them dying for a firmware error within one and a half year. An idiot, which I am, I upgraded that system even to 2 TB after one year with nothing but the only effect, that almost 1 TB got completely lost with no warning at all (which was configured differently!).

The X-RAID option turned out to be the worst I could use. The disks are not at all readable by any other system than another ReadyNAS. Thanks for such a major bullshit.

NetGear support wasn't able to fix the problem with a kernel panic, which was the reason for all my data going down the drain for the first time. Finally they replaced the hardware and I bought 4 new slow spinning Western Digital drives.

The only data I stored on that damn system from that day on was music for my SONOS sound system. But today my SONOS controller told me, that the ReadyNAS isn't accessible. Looking at it, everything seemed to be ok, but no network connection was possible anymore. Pressing the front button to get a message in the display didn't work either. So I had to switch it off on the backside. Switching it on after 20 seconds brought an almost endless boot sequence ending up in the message, that a bad disk was found. This message didn't change for another 20 minutes. So I decided to take out one disk after the other with a while, to let the system react. After disk 2 it kept saying, that disk 2 and disk 3 and disk 4 are bad. Know what's bad? It happens to all disks, which I put into this damn box and NEVER to any other disk I use for years and years.

It's a disk killer box and nothing else. Hope those developers get hanged soon. I'll start to rip my 1200 CDs again some day. But I'll never trust NetGear systems any more.

Let's see, what NetGear supporters can do. It's going to be fun to listen to their stupid requests.
Message 3 of 5
dmahon1
Aspirant

It's shit that your NAS has died, but come on - if you're serious enough to use a RAID array for data storage you should be serious enough to have a backup plan for your data too.
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Oxytocin is this a NV+ (v1 - runs RAIDiator 4.1.x) or NV+ (v2 - runs RAIDiator 5.3.x).

Depending on the condition of the array it may be possible to use an ordinary x86 Linux machine to recover data.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements