× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

buriedpast
Guide

My earlier attempt to post was rejected so I'll try again ...

I recently encountered the subject line problem and wasn't able to find any solutions in the forum other than trying an OS reinstall, Factory Default or opening a case with tech support.  In my case, none of those worked.  Here's what finally worked for me.

I was setting up a NV+ V2 (firmware 5.3.12) for a relative and suddenly found myself not able to open the Admin Page from RAIDar 6.2.  All I saw when trying to do so was the Dashboard with a popup notice "Device is Offline".  After browsing the forum and reviewing all of the closed discussions, I attempted several Factory Default startups along with OS Reinstalls and was always faced with the same "Device is Offline" notice when trying to access the dashboard.  Since I couldn't access the dashboard, downgrading the firmware wasn't an option.

For whatever reason, I finally tried to access the NAS from another computer and I was greeted with the login screen and was able to access the dashboard.  However, after logging out and attempting to login, the Device is Offline message again showed up.  Here's what I finally determined to be my problem.

In my case, this error relates to the browser cache or history.  My primary browser is Firefox 53.0 and after clearing the browser history (checking all boxes and only clearing the last hour) I was again able to access the desktop.  I DID NOT encounter this problem when using IE to access the dashboard.

I imagine the different results when using different browsers is due to the fact that IE allows you to proceed to a site with an invalid security certificate (everyone recalls the notice you receive the first time you attempt to access your NAS, right?) whereas Firefox requires you to create an exception before allowing you to proceed to an insecure site with an invalid security certificate.  The problem persists even if you choose to proceed in Firefox and do not check the box to Permenantly Store this Exception.

My suggested solution:  Clear your browser history before attempting any other solutions if you encounter the Device is Offline error.

Note that I have only encountered this problem when attempting to access a device running OS 5.xx, not on my OS 4.xx or OS 6.xx machines when using the same browser/computer configuration.

Also note that since this seems to be OS specific, I would venture a guess that the solution will also apply to a Duo V2.

Model: ReadyNAS RND4410v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
jak0lantash
Mentor

Thanks for sharing.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
jak0lantash
Mentor

Thanks for sharing.

Message 2 of 4
terriblytired
Aspirant

i have the problem with the "device is offline, please wait" error message... but on a duo v2, your suggested solution "clear the browser history" don´t work, even an clear everything except the browser itself doesn´t work

thanks you very much for your help anyway

since there is no solution for the problem over years and years in this forum i guess even an complete factory reset won´t work too (already tried 2x os reinstall) but i will give it a try. i have to say goodby to my data before... (other than posters in this forum befor i also can´t access my data in any way)

Message 3 of 4
buriedpast
Guide

My situation was unique in that even thought I couldn't access the NV+ V2 via RAIDar, I could see my mapped network drive and my data was not impacted.  Sorry about your situation, wish my information had helped.

One suggestion - I understand that OS6 units are capable of recovering data from lower OS systems.  If you know someone with an OS 6 unit, you may want to research that option further before just performing a factory reset.  You may be able to recover your data so that you can reinstall after the reset.

Another option - since I assume your unit consisted of two mirrored drives, you may be able to factory reset with only ONE (1) of the drives installed.  Once the reset is complete and assuming you can now access the unit, shut down the unit, remove that drive and restart the unit with JUST THE OTHER drive installed.  You may be able to fool the unit into thinking your RAID array is degraded and your data will still be intact.

Others with more in-depth knowledge of the ReadyNAS unit may chime in on my suggestions ... but my thinking is that nothing is lost by trying a "different" approach if all you're going to do is wipe your data via a Factory Reset.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements